what is the best way to get ride of rust?

Trevor Dickinson /

today, i saw some rust on my ped. its on the muffler, and a few parts on the engine. what is the best way to stop the spred, and get ride of it?

thanks

-Trevor

Re: what is the best way to get ride of rust?

James Foster /

Try some steel wool to remove most of the rust on metal or chrome parts. And use WD-40 on the same spots to help prevent rust from coming back. Don't use it on hot parts because it'll smoke a lot.

Hope this helps,

JF

do what james said, degrease it and paint it, paint will help stop rust more than anything else

Ben Van Zoest /

You certaintly do not want to paint the engine let alone the

MUFFLER you will get a sticking mess. I have used S.O.S.

kitchen pads w/ great success. Not only removing rust but also gook... Rinse off with clean water and dry w/ rag.

In most instance except extreme heated parts, i.e muffler use a quality ClearCoat for cromed parts. Good luck.

Trevor Dickinson /

thanks bernard, the SOS pads did the trick.

-Trevor

Those SOS pads are the bomb.

Trevor Dickinson /

indeed they are

BERNARD said--- "dont paint hte muffler....you will end up with a sticky mess"

they make high temp paint.....it is used on engine blocks, and grills...and is made to withstand up to 500-700 degrees F

nick

what is the best way to get ride of rust?

To prevent further rusting, I recommend rust polish. It will take off a little of the rust (but steel wool or aluminum foil with WD-40 will do a better job, so try that first), but not only will it make it shine like new, it will also help prevent further rusting. Although they will eventually rust more anyway, it will slow the process down.

Ben Van Zoest /

I assumed the man wanted to preserve the chrome and natural aluminum cheaply! Yes, Nick one could use the HT paint or even better professional HT powercoated very expensive. I just refurbed a '79 Puch MaxiSport MKII HT 2hp I found in deplorable condition for possible resale using only conventional cleaning proceedures I got only but compliments...

HT paint is by no means expensive, you can by a can at wall mart for about $3, with correct prep it will work great

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account