sticking carb float

i have a 78 flying dutchman with a sachs motor, not sure if it's 505 or 504. The float in the carb get's stuck in the down position, and the overflow spews gas constantly, just about everyday and i have to take it apart so it'll start workin properly. Also, there is no fuel shut off valve. I'm willing to rebuild it but i can't find parts. Its a bing carb

Re: sticking carb float

could be a bent float pin or float needle is getting dirt/rust from gas tank,How's the gas look? clean?

Bo Wollangk /

the float pin is good, and needle and seat are in good shape, it also get's stuck shut, but there is a little button on the carb to push the float down. Like today for instance, i went for a drive and it died 1 minute into ride, i pushed the button until fuel came out the overflow. it then continued spewing fuel

I had a similar problem and it turned out that the float didn't want to float any more. To test if this is it, remove the float, and put it into a container of gas. If it sinks, you need a new float.

Thor

perhaps the float has a hole in it- and it lets gas into the float, which holds it down.

Do what Thor told you to do to test this

Nick

Bo Wollangk /

Found out the problem, when i took it apart and cleaned it up the first time the gasket was all worn out. So i used some rtv to seal it up, well i didn't bother giving it time to cure, and when gas and uncured rtv mix the rtv expandes and turns to mush, my bowl was full of the stuff.

"Author: zippy (---.client.comcast.net)

Verified User: zippy

Date Posted: 07-13-04 22:18

try here part number # 22. http://www.themopedjunkyard.com/bingsachs.html";

That's a pretty nice breakdown of that carb.

buying it in pieces like that, it would be a $175 carb!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account