Question for other Motobecane Owners

Matthew Westberg /

Okay, the Airfilter box and screen did not come with my Motobecane (it's a '79 50V or 50VLA). Getting another one seems to be impossible (at least for now, nobody has any filterboxes :( ) so I need a favour:

Could someone _please_ take a few photos of their filterbox and the screen inside? I'm thinking it wouldn't be too hard to jury rig a conversion or replacement, but I need to know what I'm trying to get in the end! The old manual diagrams that people have posted just show a black blob for the box and that doesn't exactly tell me enough.

I'd really appreciate it if anybody at all could help me out with this, thanks!

Re: Question for other Motobecane Owners

I had this same problem, but I lucked into an airbox. I don't have a digital camera, so I can not help you there. What I did before I found the air box was this. I traced the shape of the airbox from the carb. I went to the grocery store and tried to find a container with equal shape. I found a metal tin that held black pepper. I modified it to fit, and drilled a few holes in the bottom. I fashioned a screen into a small cylinder, and pinched one end, the unpinched end I wiretied to the intake on the carb. Good luck finding an airbox!

Re: Question for other Motobecane Owners

Matthew Westberg /

Bump.

Anybody have an extra filter box? Or know a model (maybe tomos) that can convert well?

But as I said, even a picture of one would do

pic 1

My camera does work, just not aff batteries, I just figured that one out.

1090120551_dscf0008.jpg

pic 2

pic 2

pic 2 for real

pic 2

1090120737_dscf0009.jpg

Re: pic 2 for real

See Ya Moped Army /

Dan, that is a side mounted air box used on Motobecane's non-variator clutch models like the 50L, 40L, etc. The 50V models use a rear mounted air box that is different than the one in your pictures and uses a different air filter.

Matthew Westberg /

It's okay, I think I found a plce that sells them, so I'll probably be able to buy a proper one.

dances

Now all I'll have to do is make sure it's well-wired on so it doesn't fall off!

Thanks for the pics though, who knows they still might come in handy if this doesn't pan out.

I need one also, Can you post the link that has them for sale.

Thanks

Bob

I have 3 50v's a 1977, which has the clip mount box, and 2 1978's which have the side bolt mount box. Bjerg said he had a 1979 , which should have the square side mount box.

See Ya Moped Army /

If the motor has a variator it has the rear mounted triangular shaped box. They did not use the side mounted air box on the variator clutch models because when the motor pulls in under load, the carb would interfere with the motors movement. If it's a 50V, it should have the rear mounted air box.

See Ya Moped Army /

I stand corrected, the 30 mph 50V models after 1977 used the square air box. I must be slipping in my old age.

Matthew Westberg /

Here's a picture of my carb intake, it's rear facing, and yes it's a variator model where the motor pulls inwards at full throttle. (Which freaked me out the first time I saw it... Oh my God! The Engine's coming off it's mounts!)

As far as an Air Filter goes, I asked the guy at Claude's cycles and he says he has one for sale. I'm waiting for him to reply and tell me how much shipping costs will be.

Seems to be a common problem that these things fall off!

1090202947_intake.jpg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account