~~WTF?!!?!?

My cousin rode his ped to my house. When we go back to his, his ped sounds like crap. When he idles it, it sounds like it is going to die any second. When he revs it, there is a major delay before it revs. We cleaned the carb out and checked the plug.

Now, when he starts it up, it revs hard then dies immediatly. Whats going on? He's getting really tired from starting it up so many times!

Re: ~~WTF?!!?!?

Sounds like an air leak, perhaps. Make sure the airbox and filter are on the carb securely, and that you mounted the carb tightly onto the intake.

Andy Kochvar /

Hey is exactly what is happening to my ped. I can rev it up on the stand but will not idle...or it idles for around 3 strokes then dies. mines a compression issue tho the cylinder is damaged and leaks. i would test compression.

Mike Wong /
s7mk OP

lazer's have dellorato carbs. they do got air filters. and how do i check compression.

Andy Kochvar /

Get a compression reader. i would say 10 bucks at a motorcycle shop, autozone etc. All u do is unscrew ur spark plug and wedge this thing in, in place of the spark plug. Then you kick over the bike and the greatest amount of compression is recorded on the dial.

Andy Kochvar /

O yea, and when u run ur bike at all is there any gas/oil on the lowest parts of your bike? Like on the cylinder, transmission etc.

Jonas Quimby /

My Express did this for the longest time. I tried everything, compression was fine, no air leaks that I could find, I was about to tear the engine apart to replace the crank case seals when I thought to try adjusting my carburator.

Turns out the Idle Mixture was set too rich. The bike got too much gas, then as it warmed up, began to rev faster, and finally die outright from lack of air. It would bog down horrably when I tried to accelerate, but was fine at high speeds.

I would suggest trying to lean out your idle mixture slightly. a whole 1/8th or 1/4th of a turn of a screw might be all you need.

Mike Wong /
s7mk OP

lazers dont have carbs with idle screws =(

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account