Did I break my Targa LX?

I was cruising around today on my "new" 2001 LX. At one point, it nearly shut off while I was going 40. The nose dove but I got it to the side of the road. Everything looked okay, but it looks like I may have run it out of oil. I had checked the other day and it looked fine, but when I looked, it was bone dry in the reserve.

I walked home and got the 30 weight auto oil the last owner recommended and filled the tank. It started again and I idled it for 5 minutes and thought everything was okay. Another mile down the road and it did it again, nose-dive and died. I waited a minute and amazingly, it started again.

It had a hard time idling, but I got it home, just as it died again. At the end, I heard a tinging noise in the engine. I can still start it so I guess I didn't lock the engine up yet, but I'm worried something is wrong with the oil and don't want to ruin the damn engine.

Any ideas what I should try?

Thanks,

Ben

Re: Did I break my Targa LX?

SAE 30 (aka 10w 30) shouldn't be used as the oil. You should use 2-stroke oil (has to be specified for oil injection) which you fill up under the seat.

ye. u probley put the wrong oil in. i believe SAE 30 is for four stroke engine ssuch as lown mowers . I would take all that oil out if it is SAE 30 and put in 2 stroke Synthetic Oil. But i dont think that was the reason the engine turned off. if you used the wrong oil, i believe it would just ruin the engine cause there is not enough lubricant.

It is too late to keep from damaging your engine, what you are experiancing is a soft sieze. That is when the piston does not have enough lubrication, or the right type, and the piston binds up with the cylinder wall. With a hard sieze the piston really gets stuck with the piston binding in the cylinder. With a soft sieze the piston binds up, sticks, but not enough to bind with the cylinder. However, the piston has probably gouged the cylinder, or smeared metal onto the cylinder walls, maby both.

Stop runing the engine until you can get it fixed.

First take the head off of the cylinder and inspect the cylinder as best you can for gouges and metal smears. Then do a search of this site to see what fixes are posible and how to do them depending on how bad the damages are.

Once you get it fixed use the proper 2 stroke oil to prevent reocurance.

THAT SUCKS

bruning sae30 i cant believe you didn't see massive amount of smoke coming out of your exhuast,

if you had premixed the sae30 you carb would have gummed up so bad if would have saved you the softseizes

from now on put in about 1 oz of 2 stroke oil in your gas tank every tiem you fill now, in addition to always toping off your oil injection before y ou go out riding.

Leppy The Lepracaun /

hey ben, i had the same problem, if u notice u have an oil leak, look at ure back tire and see if oil is covering the rim, but anyways hopefully its a little leak like mine, same thing happend to me i was goin down the road and it cut off an seized, i filled it with oil and it started but kept cuttign off, the oil has to reach the engine, u can watch the little tube until it reaches then ure fine. but i would listen to everyone else and change that oil. Turn on ure moped and dont pull the throttle, jus watch patiently until the oil creeps through the tube.

Andy Kochvar /

Wait a second...SAE 30 wt oil isn't for premix, just transmission? ( atleast thats what my transmission takes )? I didn't use this in gas but i'm just wondering...

Nope. For TOMOS, it reccomends type A suffix A, type F (the best to use), and Dexron III/Mercon

YES

SAE30 has no business being anywhere near that moped!

Well, this is what I've done so far --

I emptied all the gas and put in a small mix of gas and the proper 2-stroke oil.

I took off the oil container and dumped the 30 weight auto oil, washed it out with gas and put in appropriate 2-stroke oil.

I started it and let it get lubed up. Eventually I was getting some smoke thru the exhaust so oil is in the system.

I've run it around and it seems to be doing okay. I'm off of my top speed though. I was doing about 38 consistantly and now am closer to 34 or so. Is this because of excessive oil or damage in the cylinder.

I'm not sure how much damage I've done. How much of the top end should I take off? Will I need gaskets? Could a no oil condition damage more than the pistol and cylinder?

My theory is that it was bogging down because the banjo was blowing in air instead of oil.

Ben

Still, 10w 30 should never be used as 2-stroke oil. Anyway, you really only need to take the head off so that you can see the cylinder wall. When you look, remember that you should see very small swirls on the wall and anything other than that isn't too good.

your lowered speed is due to damage

I pulled the head and there are lines in the cylinder. Looks like I screwed her up. She's still drivable, just not the speed I want. Looks like I'll find a replacement piston/cylinder and/or speed kit.

Note for future users: Keep watch on the oil reserve. If the machine dogs out because you ran out of oil, you might still be okay. Don't add oil and think you are ok. It takes time for it to get back thru the oil pump and into your cylinder.

Add oil. Open the bleader screw on the oil pump. Oil pump is on left side of motor. One screw and a little wiggling with a screwdriver takes off the cover. Open bleader and let oil drip out.

Drain your gas and add a few cups of pre-mixed gas into the tank. Run it through and by the time it runs out you should have oil coming thru the oil pump.

Ben

Well, you can get the stock top end, the larger top end (.5mm larger bore than stock), 60cc, 64/67cc (Airsal, don't know the actual displacement), and 70cc.

Leppy The Lepracaun /

Yea the piston and all that crap is done by pressure, so if the walls are scraped, ull get less pressure resulting in lower RPM's.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account