Re: Rim Replacement

Gregory Mcintire /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

The key to getting the rim true when relacing it is to make very minor adjustments on the spokes as you go. By minor I mean 1/4 turn of the spoke nipple at a time.

The best way to judge the tension is to tap the spokes with a screwdriver or whatever, and listen to the ring. Compare this ring with that of your other wheel or any known good wheel. It should "ring", not "thud" but not too terribly high of a pitch, just a happy ring.

You will almost certainly not have the spokes all sound identical in pitch. That is okay. That is not as important as having the wheel true.

As others have said, it is "easier" to buy a ready laced wheel. I have found that I don't get a great deal of satisfaction buying things. I would rather repair or rebuild any day.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account