how to put on a new tire!?

Matt Rusiniak /

Ok, I'm going fscking nuts with a new tire I have. I can't seem to put it on, I've tried screw drivers and prying it on but I just finished by puncturing my tube after the fker just wouldn't go on any further. Does anyone have any advice?

Re: how to put on a new tire!?

Bruce Wilkinson /

Some tires can be tight. If you can get 3 tire irons and inch the tire on a little bit at a time with the opposite side of the tire in the middle of the rim to get maximum stretching. After you do get it on, put soapy water on the rim and inflate it a little more than normal so the tire will "seat" properly, then deflate to correct pressure.bruce

See Ya Moped Army /

I put soapy water on the tire to slip it on the rim easier. It works for me every time. Also, leaving a new tire in the sun for a couple of hours will make it more pliable and easier to stretch.

Matt Rusiniak /

How do you put it on? Using screw drivers? I can get it about 90% on, but then the last 2 inches or so just WON'T go on, no matter how humanly hard I try :(

Maybe I'll take it to a tire shop and see if their hydraulic clamps will stretch it on or not...

Garret Rassulo /

how i get mine on, and this may sound a bit crazy, is i grease the tube up with white lithium grease, making it really slick, and also greasing the inside of the tire's bead, go to <www.mopedjunkyard.com> and under the "tools" section they sell tire irons for moped tires, I just put a new rear tire on my tomos, and it took a bit of effort, but after a few tries it slid on, aided by the greased inner bead, once its on, deflate it flat and get some simple green or other decent degreaser and clean the outer edge of the bead, for some tires ive found the ONLY way to get them on was this method, every now and then you get one that just does NOT want to go on, but it will.

-Garret

See Ya Moped Army /

Screwdrivers will ruin your rims and puncture your tubes. Tire irons are the way to go. I bought a nice set off ebay for around $8 a couple of months ago. I've used them numerous times since I got them and haven't punctured one tube yet.

Herbie Haster /

I have a set of bike tire tools that slip under the spokes, but in the past I have used the butt end of spoons. They are not sharp.

As for the tire fitting onto the rims, perhaps you can double check that you have the correct tire for the rim. I know with the mobylette, some have 16 inch rims (BMX tires) and some have 17 inch rims (mobylette). I guess you could check if your trying to pry 16" rubber onto 17" rims.

I hate changing moped tires. I have two tire irons that I'm currently using to try and replace the tube on the rear mag wheel of a '79 Maxi Sport and I've gone through four tubes. I swear I put it on as carefully as possible, and it gets punctured every time. So very annoying. What's worse is that it's the only thing keeping my Puch off the road...everything else is ace. There is a very minor abrasion on the inside of the rim...could this be causing the puncturing? It's not even sharp, just a few little bumps.

I always spray tons of spay lube of some sort. I think it works a little better than the soapy water method. But yeah as the others have said, no screwdrivers. That's bad news.

BK

Gregory Mcintire /

You can lube the bead of the tire with a film of straight dishwashing liquid. Also, powder the inside of the tire and the outside of the tube with "tire talc". You can use plain old talcum powder that you may have in your bathroom.

Be sure that the valve stem area is the last place where you pry the tire onto the rim. Be sure to push the valve stem into the tire while doing this last bit of tire prying. Do NOT have the nut on your valve stem unless it is only threaded on a small amount or you will not be able to push the stem into the tire at this point.

The soap is to help the tire slip easily onto the rim. The talc is to allow the tube to position itself properly in the tire during assembly and also during the actual usage of the tire on the road.

Matt Rusiniak /

Well, I'll have another go at it in a while, I'm sure the tire is the right size, maybe I'll leave it outside to warm it a bit, its fking impossible so far :(

And yeah, the tire is the last thing keeping my Jawa off the road.

I did it! Finally! Put dishwashing soap on the edge of the rim and just worked the tire on by hand. Screw levers, I don't need them. Put enough force on the tire and go a little at a time and it should slide right on. Unless I have super loose tires or something.

Travis Hill /

I had the same problem w/ a scooter. I finally took it to a shop and they charged me $10 to put it on. Well worth it in my book.

Matt Rusiniak /

I may do that in the end thill

Travis Hill /

If you do have to, make sure you just take them the wheel, tube adn tire so they won't charge you to take the wheel off and put it back on. I'm not sure how it is there, but the place I took it to charges $50 an hour!

Ned Renner /

Mopedlar gave good advice here. The soapy water is a must and a set of tire irons from a motorcycle shop will last a lifetime. Slightly inflate the tube so it doesn't sit in folds as you work past it. For a real hoot, try replacing the rubber on a Goped tire.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account