Batavus piston removal

I was going to remove the cylinder jug on my batavus hs50 to de-carbon the cylinder. But before I do it I was thinking of how the piston came off. I thought Id remove the piston and the jug and let them soak in the parts washer for a while. I was wondering if anyone knew if the piston just comes off by removing the two snap rings and sliding out the wrist pin, or is it one of those deals where you have to heat it up to remove it.

If anyone knows drop me a line

Thanks!

Re: Batavus piston removal

Jason Luther /

i would just leave the piston on there, and wipe any carbon off with a gum-out or something. you dont want to disturb the rings too much since they are 'broken into' the piston. even if your replacing the rings, id still leave the piston on.-jason

Gregory Mcintire /

The rings don't "break in" to the piston, but rather to the cylinder.

You are correct about removing the circlips to remove the wrist pin. It may be stuck, or may slide out relatively easily. A special puller can be used, but your idea of heating it may work also.

Jason Luther /

but is it wise or beneficial to take it all apart? especially if your not replacing the rings?-jason

Gregory Mcintire /

It is both wise and beneficial to remove the rings and clean the ring lands if the rings are partially stuck in the lands. This a a very real problem which can arise if a low grade of oil has been used and/or if way too much oil has been used.

There may be no good reason to take the rings off the piston otherwise that I can think of. Just be sure to keep track of which ring is the top ring and with is the bottom as that does matter once rings have been installed and the engine has been run.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account