Vespa Ciao stalling after rebuild

hey all i have a 77 vespa ciao standard.

I had it running Great for a week or two ofter a full rebuild. Well today for some odd readon it will start just fine but when i give it gas it boggs down and stalls...at first i thought my decompression lever /valve was stuck...no go then i noticed oil leaking from inbetween the head and the cylender body...so i took off the head and looked at it, when i rebuilt the engine there was no gasket inbetween the two and there still isnt...i think my problem is compression but i dont even know if my engine uses a head gasket .

please help

oh btw it has a new spark plug and fresh premix and a clean carb and the trottle cable works

Re: Vespa Ciao stalling after rebuild

There should be a gasket between the cylinder base and the engine casing(Crank case). Vespa Part Number 152793.

You may have to go to http://www.50cc.nl to find one or here is another site in Germany. You will have to use www.altavista.com Translate feature to translate the site.

http://www.cycle-tech.ch/index2.htm

also check to make sure the air box is seated properly and securely to the back of the carb.

thx..ill look into that

could i make a gasket from the stuff from pepboys?

Bruce Wilkinson /

The head and cylinder barrel does not have a gasket. The gasket that Zippy is telling you about is at the base between the engine and the barrel. The Ciao does not have a head gasket.

so then why am i leaking oil from there?

Gregory Mcintire /

The reason for leaking would have to be:

1) Cylinder and/or head surfaces are not flat.

2) Cylinder and/or head surfaces are not clean.

3) The head bolts are not torqued evenly or otherwise properly.

so if im loosing compression can i make a gasket for it?

You can make a gasket for it but go to a local autoparts store and see if they have any thin aluminum type sheets for making head gaskets.

thx

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account