Tomos Kit Piston "Pings" Head?? PIC

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

I've got a Tomos with a Eurokit on it. I noticed one of the head bolts was loose so I tightened it. Now, for some reason the piston is touching the head every cycle. It makes a loud "ping" sound when it running. I took off the head and noticed the marks where it was hitting. I think im missing a head gasket possibly, is this the problem? Or is there something else?

1088705432_dcp_0629.jpg

Re: Tomos Kit Piston "Pings" Head?? PIC

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

And heres the picture of the piston. Its not flats, more of a convex shape.

Brooklyn

1088705491_dcp_0630.jpg

There is no head gasket included. Also, what octane are you using? It might be detonation rather than the piston hitting.

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

I am using 87 octane. On mopedsonline is shows a head gasket though. I do not have one. I still think its hitting, because it didnt do this when it was loose.

Brooklyn

First off, you are running way to low of an octane so this is your problem. Empty your tank and try 93. 87 is to low on an engine running at least 10:1 compression and pinging is the usual symptom of detonation.

Keith Wallace /

bassman- the compression on that moped is 8.5:1.

http://mopedriders.org/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=27(scroll down to page 4)

87 octane is just fine. The octane rating of your gas will NEVER change your piston clearance.

Your piston is most likely shot with gouges like that in it. You'll have to replace it. Also, the little metal filings must be cleaned completely out of that engine. Take off the cylinder, and wash it very well in warm soapy water. Buy a new piston and rings, and get a head gasket this time!

simply try to put a head gasket, im 90% sure that this is the problem, if you still can ride the bike, that mean that the piston is not hurting the head a lot , so a gasket should do.

already happened to a friend of mine

give some news here

thanks

g.b.

Sorry, I was thinking of the A35 engine and head.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account