Points? do they open and close? how do they work?

Troy Weisenmiller /

ok, im not exactly sure how u clean these? its says in freds to open them up. so im guessin they do come apart. where do i sand these at to get a better contact point? kinda lost here. thanks.

Re: Points? do they open and close? how do they wo

Jason Luther /

i wish i knew of good moped generater pic, but alas i dont. the points are two metal disks, i guess, that are about the size of a pencil eraser (just not as tall). as the magneto spins around (and therefor the engine is turning) the points 'open', seperate from one another, and close. you can see them through one of the holes in the magneto, and there is a screw holding one side of the points down. this is what you loosen to slide that one side closer or farther away to set the gap. you can turn the magneto by hand to the point where the points open. then you can sandwich a piece of sand paper (use at least 220 grit METEL sandpaper, aluminum oxide sand paper is too corse/abrasive) in the points and pull it out. refer to freds guide. hope this helps.-jason

Re: Points? do they open and close? how do they wo

Troy Weisenmiller /

thanks man!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account