Puch bogging at full throttle

Mitch Buchannon /

My 1978 Puch Maxi-Luxe bogs down when I give it full throttle. Otherwise, it runs great, except that I have to give it gas gradually as I accelerate. I just changed to a smaller jet. Could this be the problem? It certainly runs better now than it did with a larger jet. Thanks.

Mitch

Re: Puch bogging at full throttle

See Ya Moped Army /

If it bogs down, that generally means too big a jet or not enough air flow.

Well, if its stock, you probably have a bing carb, the manual says that the carb jets are set stock at the factory for the engine size. Most people take that to mean that puch didnt want people to upgrade it trying to get speed, which is partly true, but it also means that the carb is a little to big for a smaller jet,

Meaning, that when you give it full throttle from nothing, the gas probably fills the carb faster than the jet can pour it into the engine, and it floods the carb and bogs out.

That is just my theory, I am no expert, but from reading the manual and having rebuilt a bing carb, that is what I would say the issue is.

I do not know why you down-jetted the carb, so I cannot really recommend a fix. From reading on here, I see that downjetting is usually a way to fix the symptoms of another issue (commonly airflow), and If I were you I would try to figure out how to get it to run with the stock jet.

Hope that helps somehow,

-rand

Mitch Buchannon /

I down-jetted because after a plug chop, I found that I was running too rix. Tomorrow, I'll put the larger jet back in and try it without the air cleaner to see if that might help with getting the fuel/air mixture correct.

How was it running before you downjetted?

Mitch Buchannon /

Before I down-jetted, it was four-stroking. At full throttle, the engine sound changed to a lower, rougher pitch. And just as Fred says, when I closed the throttle a bit, it was much smoother. I then did a plug chop and found it to be running too rich. I therefore down-jetted and have this new issue now.

By the way, it is a stock bing carb.

Mitch

Gregory Mcintire /

What actual jet sizes are you using? I can use as large as a #64 and as small as a #60 and the bike runs reasonable. A 62 or 60 is about the best. I live at 5400 feet elevation.

Jason Luther /

my maxi was bogging at full throttle, but it was because of not enough gas. i guess there is supposed to be a little tube and then a plug that goes from the airbox. i dont have those. so i covered about 1/3 of the airhole and it doesnt bog anymore. im just waiting until something breaks so i can send an order to get a 64 jet (i have a 60 right now), so i can untape the hole and get more power. could this be your situation? plug chop with an old plug wont show anything.-jason

when you installed new jet, did you reset you slide needle? try reinstalling old jet, and try adjusting carb needle set at 1 notch under what you ran B-4 (up on needle more fuel down on needle less fuel)

Tip.

I run my Puch peds w/ the stock airbox w/hose in the frame and no round filter, A 14mm intake and carb jetted at 62 needle set 3rd notch from top. runs perfect low and top end.this set up w/correct Air and fuel mix gives good performance w/ out having to buy stuff I don't Need.

I was four stroking but upjetted and now runs fine. I would take an afternoon and just play with your jetting until you find the one that works perfectly. It takes awhile but well worth it. I have found that each Puch is different and also depents on which carb you are using. I have two that I use a lot and they are very different when it comes to the air/fuel mixture and Jetting.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account