ahhh the riverside

Jason Luther /

my frankenside runs. but... from a dead stop when i try to take off it bogs terribly untill i get to about 5-7 mph. although if i do a rolling stop it does not do this, and accelerates fine. ofcourse the carb is clean, but i have never experienced this problem before. could it be a clutch thing? its a new plug, the points are cleaned and adjusted (although i dont have a manual, but i put them at .018, that seems to be the gap for everything.) also when i looked though the intake hole i could see the piston was pretty scored, so could this be a compression thing? mind you, it runs great after about 7 mph. i have a perfectly bored out cylinder and new piston and rings, but i dont want to fix it if it aint broke, ya know? oh yeah, if i put the choke on after i stop, it seems to help it accelerate a little better, but still not perfect, and then i click it off real quick and it takes off like a banshi. any help would be great.-jason

Re: ahhh the riverside

Adam Foreman /

try pedalling from a stop. it will cut the bog till your at about 7. be easy on acceleration

Jason Luther /

i tried that, it helps a little, but i would still like to fix it.-jason

Jake Van Order /

It probably is the compression issue. Once you're going faster, the compression is less noticible. Does it idle well? If my guess is right then it shouldn't.

Why don't you get a new top end from the store? Riverside parts are available new at every gas station and convenience store, aren't they?

Jason Luther /

it turned out to be a jet issue. i switched the 49 to a 54 and it works fine. although, i installed the new piston and bored out cylinder, and once it heats up, it seizes. the guy gave it .0015" clearance, not enough i guess. i cant afford another $75 bore job, so im gonna try to through the old piston and the old cylinder on. hopefully i can get the rings off of the new piston and use those. all of this after i finish painting the outside of my house ofcourse. im a carpenter and have to take vacations to update my own house. god bless america.-jason

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account