How do you check puch points?

How do i make sure my setting on my points is correct. I can dry stand it to 10000rpms, but I wan't to make sure i have proper ignition, since i just built up a new motor, and swapped the coils.

Re: How do you check puch points?

Jason Luther /

look through the magneto, at about the ten o'clock position and your see two metal disks that open and close together. those are the points. set them to .018". if you dont have a feeler guage (you should get some they are real handy), you can use a piece of cereal box, or better yet go to home depot and get a metal stud. they are .0179" (give or take). i did that at work once when i had to get home faster than 20 mph.-jason

John Getsch /

What is a metal stud?

I think he means a framing nail... unsure tho...

Gregory Mcintire /

You say that you want to make sure the "setting" on your points is correct. There are two different things to consider with regard to "setting".

The point gap is the amount of distance between the two contacts when they are in the most 'open' position. But, when you alter that gap, you also alter the ignition timing. In otherwords if you change the gap you have changed the timing. Having the timing set correctly is far more important than having the gap set to some specific setting.

Therefore, set the timing correctly by adjusting the gap such that the points open when the piston is in the specified distance before top dead center. Or use the marks on the flywheel if there are any, and if you know what they mean.

Then measure the point gap at its widest opening. If it is not within allowed specifications then you rotate the entire magneto stator plate as required.

This is something that very few seem to realize. Altering the point gap also alters the timing.

guitar strings=feeler gauge

Leon Swarmer /

If you know a guitar player. They have strings that are measured in thousandths of inches. A high e or a b may do the trick depending on brand and type. Check the back of the pack. Anyway the piece they cut off after installing is easy to carry and FREE.

Jason Luther /

metal stud is a wall stud, like 2 x 4s are used in your house, except the are metel and mostly used in commercial buildings. the thickness of the metel is about .018. and the gap distance, to an extent and practical for most peds, dictates when the points break. but if they are way out of whack, then you need to adjust your stator plate. but the factory specified gap is also important because thet lets the capacitor charge for the right amount of time.-jason

Re: guitar strings=feeler gauge

Holy crap, ive been playing guitar for years and I never thought of that, good call man!

Re: guitar strings=feeler gauge

Jason Luther /

yeah, im diggin the guitar guage.-jason

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account