Noisy Puch Maxi

I've recently purchased a Puch Maxi here in Canada and I have already fixed a lot of smaller problems on the bike. Now it's time to get into the nitty gritty of the inner workings.

The bike runs great, starts fast, and has a nice top speed, but it is very noisy, so noisy that it's hard to hear the horn (which I just fixed) over the noise of the engine. I'm pretty much just planning on taking the thing apart and looking at everything, but I was wondering if any Puch owners here would have an idea of where I should start and what I should look at first.

It has an italian carb on it at the moment instead of the proper German bing carb. Could that be a source of some of the noise? Should I look into replacing the engine bearing or the wheel bearings? Any help on tuning this thing up properly would be great. I don't wanna wake up the neighbourhood with my nightly joy rides.

Re: Noisy Puch Maxi

Gregory Mcintire /

If your Puch is the 1 speed, the crank main bearings are easy to find at any shop that sells bearings. Same with the two transmission ball bearings. Seals are also common stuff.

If it is the 2 speed the crank main bearings are not so easy to find. I believe that the 2 speed is also inherently noisier, at least at low RPM. I am refering to engine noises, not exhaust noise.

The first thing to check after pulling off the cylinder would be the connecting rod. If it has end play you are kinda screwed, since finding a "rod kit" is not easy and it also requires a press, dial guage and jig to replace the rod.

The exhaust should not be objectionably noisy unless the two baffle components are missing from the muffler. They would simply need to be replaced.

The horn is not very loud no matter what and not much you can do about that. The only reason the carb should be contributing to your noise is if you are refering to intake noise, i.e. the "wah" sound due to the lack of an air filter/box to sufficiently suppress the noise.

If you don't already have it, you should get the service manual such as the one at:

http://www.mopedriders.org/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=34

Good luck

Intake can significantly contribute to noise .. since you mentioned it's not the stock carb, it probably doesn't have the stock airbox and filter either. Intake roar is second only to exhaust noise in an otherwise healthy engine.. Mechanical noise is next in line.

To check intake roar just put your hand or a rag over the carb intake. If the thing gets real quiet all of a sudden, that may be one place to devote some effort.

James Smith /

Cool, thanks for all the advice guys.

I'm glad to hear that the bearings are easy to find and I will definately do that intake test. I have the box filter, just not a Bing carb so if the intake turns out to be noisy, I'll try and get a new bing for it. Maybe I could afbricate a way to rig up my box filter to this carb though.

Jason Luther /

my stock maxi (bing carb) is pretty noisy too. i think its just the nature of the beast. unless, of course, there is a mechanical rattle or grinding or something. does yours have side covers? mine doesnt, i wonder if those help with noise?-jason

The further back the carb sits on the intake causes the "cam sound", To Check,

Start ped up, loosen carb clamp bolt and push carb forward or back to quite carb "cam sound".(adjust carb while ped is running)

also, if you have any leaks at the intake gasket or carb to intake joint this will cause this sound.

To Check for leaks,

With ped running (from cold start) spray a "Little" WD-40 around any joint and if it bubbles up you have leaks.

James Smith /

It's totally rattle and grind. I think something is either worn or just not seated right.

Jason Luther /

pull your head and cylinder and see whats up.-jason

James Smith /

Yeah, I'm gonna take the whole thing apart today. I hope it's something easy to get that's wrong like a bearing or sprocket and not something like the piston arm or some crap like that.

Jason Luther /

either way, you still have to dismantle the whole engine to get to them. just hope its a bearing cause they are cheap (relatively speaking). good luck-jason

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account