Tomos Targa LX No Spark

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

Ive got a 1991 TTLX with an A35 engine. For some reason it will not spark. All the wires look good, and I believe it has a CDI so theres no points to clean. I've never had a CDI moped before so im not sure. Attached is a picture of a box on the right side under the cover, which may be missing a wire? Is something supposed to be hooked up there? Any help would be great!

Thanks

Brooklyn

1088102181_dcp_0623.jpg

Re: Tomos Targa LX No Spark

You might be missing the wire that comes from the magneto. Is your coil there or is it missing?

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

The coil is there. I found that it does have points and I did clean them and still nothing. Not even a little shock when i put my finger on the plug and turn it over.

Brooklyn

Well, by the first picture, you are missing a wire. So, check to see if all your wires are connected in the correct places and if they are, then try installing a new wire where it is missing.

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

Ok, I don't see any wires hanging anyway. And I have tried mixing up the wires and nothing. Also, I took a multimeter to the points and even when they are open, with a piece a paper between them, they still have continuity. I don't think this is correct from how i understand points works, which isnt much, Is this normal operation?

Brooklyn

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

Also, when I hook the meter up to the spark plug cap and ground, I get very small voltage spike, only .3 V. ?

Brooklyn

yes, there is some continuity across the points even when they are open.

hook a meter up to 15,000 volt coil wire and your meter blows.. or the meter's fuse blows ( if it has one )

stop guessing and find a wiring diagram

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

Hey guess and check can work, especially if you dont really understand this wiring diagram thats attached. I don't really know what to do. I think something grounded that shouldnt be. On the kill switch the 2 wires have continuity whichever way the switch is pushed. gah.

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

Heres the diagram, or the closest i could find.

1088110624_a35spec.jpg

i dont see a component on that diagram that has 3 leads.. If i had to guess, the thing in your first post is a voltage regulator. If so, it's not the cause of no-spark.

also no color codes for wires :/

That kill switch must not be closed.. The wires must not be grounded either.. Otherwise it grounds the coil and you get no spark.

So, if either wire shows continuity to ground, or to eachother through the switch, you may have stumbled across the answer..

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

Well yes now I just need need to find where the hell it is grounded. hmmm.

oops.. the thing in the first diagram is a full wave bridge diode.. it has the markings.. the AC marks and the + and - DC marks..

That thing changes AC from the lighting coil in the magneto to DC current for the lights.

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

Alrighty, well theres black and yellow wires coming out of the engine case on the top. Both appear to be ground to the ground on the coil. wtf?

Off the magneto, one wire splits into two according to this diagram. One splits off to the coil and one goes up to the kill switch and then through the kill switch to the lights...

Since there are not 3 or 4 wires coming out of that magneto, it appears that both your lights and your ignition are on the same circuit.

This seems to means that possibly, a ground or short anywhere on the bike can cause no sspark.

This diagram sucks.. Unless your bike has all these bulbs and components and exactly no extras, find the one for your specific bike if you can

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

Ok well I still have no clue what is wrong. I checked the continuity between the connector that connects from the wire off the magneto to the ground on the coil and they are connected. Is it possible the coil is burnt out.

Brooklyn

Gregory Mcintire /

The points will have continuity accross them whether they are open or closed BUT it should be zero ohms closed and a few ohms (4 to 8 ohms perhaps) when they are opened.

When you check the wires going to the kill switch which you say always show continuity, it will show continuity if the points are closed and again a few ohms if they are open. This is if you are checking this switch with all the wiring still connected. An ohm meter that can measure low ohms such as this is required. Most inexpensive analog meters are not capable as their lowest scale is kOhms and not Ohms. Most digital meters that I am aware of can indeed measure the difference between zero ohms (or whatever the meter reads when its leads ar connected to each other) and 4 to 6 ohms or so.

If you suspect the switch as your problem simply disconect it. Disconnected, it cannot kill your spark.

The device in your picture is a rectifier. The two input terminals marked IN with the lazy "S" is the AC input. The lazy "S" is a symbol used to denote alternating current (AC) which is what your magneto produces. It is hard for me to tell for certain in your picture but I believe the symbol near the OUT terminal is the "earth" or "ground" symbol. If so, it should appear to look sort of like an arrow with the arrow head being made of 3 or 4 consecutivley shorter lines. If this is the case, then I feel quite certain that the terminal marked OUT is the + DC terminal and the - DC terminal is the metal body of the device which is connected to the body of the bike via the bolt that attaches it.

My knowledged of the Tomos Targa 'specifically' is non-existent so everything I said above is subject to scrutiny. It is all under the assumption that the Targa has magneto ignition and not battery ignition.

Here's a wiring diagram for a Targa.. see attachment.

At least this one has wire color codes and, although the scan makes them hard to read, you can figure them out with some care. It shows many things the other diagram doesn't show, like a connection between the magneto and voltage regulator.

Study it a while and see if it helps.. take your time and determine what the electrical components on that bike actually are.. the "indicator relay" (turn signal flasher) and "electronic box" (coil/spark plug wire), etc.. Label the components with masking tape if that helps keep things in order...

The bottom line is that all wires should be connected to the proper places and not accidentally grounded.

i got it from a manual for the Targa posted here:

http://www.mopedriders.org/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

Here's the page with wiring diagrams:

http://www.mopedriders.org/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21&page=5

As far as testing a coil, its just coils of wire.

I dont know the proper ohms but if the coils show continuity in or below the kilo-ohm range, the coil is probably just fine.. a bad coil is the last thing i would suspect..

First thing i would suspect is you have some wire connection problem.

1088132681_targa.jpg

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

Yay! Finally shes running! Someone really f'ed up the wires on this thing. Buts shes running now, thank guys.

Brooklyn

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account