Puch speedometer problem

I'm fixing a '79 Puch that was stored outside for many years. The speedometer needle has warped down to the point that it rubs on the dial and won't return when I slow down and stop.

Has anyone out there ever taken apart a Puch speedo to the level where you have access to the needle?

The only forum topic I could find on this was from someone who said it was a 'sealed unit' and it couldn't be taken apart.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thor

Re: Puch speedometer problem

i think it is a sealed unit. they are fairly cheap to obtain. i would just replace.

try this.. hold a folded towel in one hand and the speedometer in the other..

Pound the face of the speedo into the towel a few times. This might bend the needle away from the face.

Otherwise, yeah.. they are sealed tight and you have to cut it open. On mine, off a honda, the ring around the front lens looks like the obvious point to attack it.. cut some slits with a MotoTool and bend the edge straight till the ring and lens comes off.

Yes, they can be taken apart,I've even removed the stopper pin at 30Mph mark so, speed-o is good to 40Mph(tacks around to back of zero pin)

1st remove unit from plastic case,keep gaskets in order you them take off.

2nd after plastic cover is removed flip unit face(glass) down on a tabletop,Using a small flathead screwdriver(like for glasses),wedge between unit base and black metal edge prying out a little at a time all the way around unit til THE FLANGED EDGE clears the units flanged edge then pull unit off the glass, do what ever you want .

TIP: the needle will break if you just try to pull up on it , you should heat it up 1st w/ a hair dryer ,then cool it fast,

should take about an hour to complete the whole task.

GOOD LUCK

ahh.. a plastic needle? And it can be disassembled..

FORGET what i said about pounding it.. it will likely break before it bends. Mild heat does sound like the right thing to use.

Wow, I finally have something to work with. The amount of knowledge out there is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I have the schematic for the speedo, but can you add a bit of detail about how to remove the unit from the plastic case. Maybe it will be obvious if it were in front of me, but right now it's late and I'm at computer and moped is in garage. Once I remove the whole unit from the ped, is everything taken apart from the bottom?

Thanks ,

Thor.

Re: Here's a pic of Speed-o

Yes, unbolts from bottom to get to this point.Pointer is at flanged black ring,notice units edge too,,, it's easy to do,,,GOOD LUCK

1088048046_speedo.jpg

Thanks for picture, it has inspired confidence at this end.

Thor.

Mitch Buchannon /

I had the same exact problem on my puch. I was able to take the speedo apart exactly how ragstrecher described it above. I heated the pin with a butane lighter and bent it into place. If you do it this way though, be careful not to melt the pin. Good luck.

Just to give this some closure, the suggested process worked great. I opened up the speedometer with a screwdriver. The metal is quite soft. I removed the needle, sandwiched it between 2 coins and parked this on top of a desk lamp for half an hour. did this twice and the needle is now perfectly flat. Mission accomplished. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Thor

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account