77 Garelli Fuel Trouble I think

Aharon Sandland /

ok so i bought this garelli yesterday and last night and today it was running like a star. then today I though i would put a little 50:1 two cycle in the oil injector, cause I'm an ass and always think i know what I am doing. I dont know if this is my main problem but here are the symptoms

first: it was starting fine and running well with full throttle but when i came to a stop it stalled. so i went to gas station and figured maybe my porportions were incorrect, so i added like 66 cents worth of gas to tank.

then.............

now it starts and idols fine but real low and even full throttle only brings it up to about 1 mph. hopefully i didnt fuck anything up.

my model has a oil injector and gas tank. please help

Re: 77 Garelli Fuel Trouble I think

bikes that have been sitting around for a while collect crap in the tank, lines, and carb... flakes of rust, dried fuel varnish.. Then you buy the thing bounce it around and it runs great until some of this crap breaks loose and clogs something up.

i wouldn't worry about you messing something up. That entire fuel system, from the gas cap to the intake manifold should be cleaned.. screens.. filters , lines.. everything..

REmove the carb and clean that too if you have to. You might not have to since often times a screen or filter in front of the carb has clogged and stopped the flow of fuel.

Re: 77 Garelli Fuel Trouble I think

Aharon Sandland /

thanks alot for the advice, it greatly appreciated. my reason for believing it was me was because of the timing of the problem to be a few hours after i added 50:1 2 cycle oil.

thanks again ill get working on it tonight

50:1

Leon Swarmer /

Where did you get that ratio? my 75 Gareli asks for 25:1

second question. You say it's oil injected and you still mix fuel????

if it has real oil injection it would have a separate tank just for 2 stroke oil And there would be no need for you to mix.

My concern is that if you don't have injection (and I am not certain any Garelli did) that by running 50 to one you were dangerously low on lubrication and by added another 1/4 gallon of gas you've kicked it up to something like 70:1

Wait for other answers .. I could be wrong on the injection thing, but I'd want to dump that fuel out if it were in my Eureka flex. (Ok, dumping gas is tricky, I'd prolly run it through my older car that doesn't have a cat convertor on it) Start over with a Fresh tank of 25:1 your bearings and rings will love you for it.

Leon

Re: 50:1

Aharon Sandland /

leon you might be right on track, my Garelli does have a separate tank for the oil injector. How do I go about dumping fuel etc...do I have to drain engine?

thanks

Aharon

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

Just drain the tank(s) if one of them is wrong. The gas tank should have nothing but gas. The oil tank should have nothing but 2-stoke oil. Or better yet, disconnect and disable the oil injector, and premix everything in the tank. That is the best option.

Brooklyn

Aharon Sandland /

and burn off the rest of the fuel still in the engine?

and could this all be the problem behind it idling wrong

Aharon

Leon Swarmer /

There isn't very much in the carb. if you have oil injection and that tank was fulll and your injector was working...and you added 50 to 1 fuel to it, then you have a heavy on the oil mix. It will certainly cause the bike to run poorly, but at least you aren't destroying bearings.

It might take a lot of pedaling to get the fuel out of the carb, but once you hit good gas it should perk right up.

Leon

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account