103 bogs and won't take gas

103 starts and idles.When I give it gas it bogs and it won't rev up.I have taken apart and cleaned out the carb. Spark tester shows that it has spark.I have set the timing and the points and installed a new plug.What should I try next? Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks Peugeot1

Re: 103 bogs and won't take gas

When did this problem start? What changed? Do you have a stock carb on there? You make any engine modifications at all?

Is the choke functioning properly? Did you check for vacuum leaks yet?

Today is the first time I have worked on this particuliar 103 and everything looks stock with a stock carb and I have made no modifications.I checked the compression and it's 120psi. I was able to to get the bike to run and when it was running I sprayed carb cleaner around the intake and on the head around the decompression valve and there was no change in the idle so I don't think it has a vacuum leak and the choke is working properly.I next plan to slap on the carb off my running 103. Any other suggestion. All help is greatly appreciated. PEUGEOT1

if you can just swap an identical carb, that will answer a whole lot of questions and eliminate a lot of possibilities ..

Only things that comes to mind is that since it's dying right off idle, the idle mix could be really bad, like way too rich from a high float level.. Or it could be very lean from a clogged idle passage or a very low float level.

hell.. id'a swapped carbs a long time ago.. try that first.

Joew I slapped on a good carb from a runnuing 103 and the was no noticable change so I sprayed carb cleaner around the intake again and the engine cut out. I think your earlier trouble shooting tip re:vacuum leaks is right on! Thanks PEUGEOT1

glad you are getting closer.

carb cleaner is unreliable.. it isn't really flamable. I used to dump that stuff in a running auto engine and smoke up the block but never noticed a change in RPM other than it will kill the engine if you spray too much.

Use Starter Fluid. The engine will jump if it gets sucked into a vacuumn leak.

I looked at the price for Starter Fluid at the autoparts store and it was like $8 or so.. what a rip off.. Maybe WalMart has it.

Joew Thanks for all the help! peugeot1

anytime..

Marc Dimmitt /

peugeot1- I recently scored a '76 103 for $75.00 and got it running but it doesn't have an airbox and I don't want to suck bugs into my carb. Where can I get an airbox cheap and quick in NCAL?

Call moped shops in the area...Zippy moped for one, Myron's Mopeds for another...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account