Is this even fixable? Can anyone in cinci help?

Is this fixable?

Again, the nut was gone from the back of it...

Do I need a special part for that or will just a bolt that fits work?

Does anyone in cinci have an extra exhaust for a 1980 puch newport (maxi?)???

Re: Is this even fixable? Can anyone in cinci help

Whats wrong with it? It looks perfectly fine to me, While its out hose it down with some carb cleaner and go at it with a wire brush to clean it up a bit, but be careful not to screw up the litle asbestos rings too much so that it will still seal well. And yes all you need is the proper nut and it will be fine. How did it come out? Where you riding it and it popped?

yea clean that thing up a little and i bet you go faster

Randall F /

Well, I knew the nut was out and It wouldnt start so I peddled and peddled, eventually it started, I pulled out onto the road and BAM and it shot the thing and the engine died, didnt want to try starting it again without that....

Do I need a PUCH part for it or will any nut for those threads work?!!? Does anyone know what size it is?!?

:( need to get it working by wednesday!

Thanks for the help so far guys!

-rand

John Joedicke /

Size it and get a metric nut from your local hardware store.

Randall F /

Thanks double, Appreciate the help :) I will go out much later to do that, exhausted now been up all night!

Gregory Mcintire /

It is not just a nut that you are missing. There is also a short (4 inches) piece of tubing that has some holes in it, that goes inside that larger aluminum piece at the back end. Without it your nut (with washer) will plug the pipe. Also, when that piece blew out the back, that did not cause your ped to quit. It will run without it. Something else caused it to not run, and perhaps caused it to backfire and blow the pipe apart.

Randall F /

Damnitt, I guess ill have to order a new exhaust tomorrow... thats another week of taking cabs :( Suckage!

-rand

Randall F /

Bleh, you said, it will run like that... is it safe to run it like that? Would it just be loud but not harm anything? I need to get to work!!! :( Man this sucks so hard :( :( :(

Gregory Mcintire /

I really doubt that it would hurt it. We always used to take the baffles out of our bikes when we were kids and never had a problem.

The short piece of tubing you are missing is just a length of 1/2 inch diameter tubing that will go into the end of that aluminum baffle and protrude out about 1/2 inch. Then it has two holes drilled near each end of it about 1/4 inch diameter each. Making a piece to replace your missing piece is a whole lot cheaper than buying a new exhaust pipe.

In the attached jpg I drilled several smaller holes, but later determined that fewer larger holes works as well and doesn't carbon plug as easily.

1087934388_exhaust_tube.jpg

Randall F /

Ok, I can build one of those no problem, so you are saying that it goes like this?

Randall F /

Oh posted in the wrong place, see here

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/6/4619/4546/

Also, I tried like 5 and 6 and 7 MM and 1/4 inch, NONE of those fit that post right... Is there some odd threading that I have to find to get it to fit right? What can I tell the hardware store?

On my maxi that nut is 10mm I am not sure on the thread pitch. I dont have a gauge.

BTW check the threads on the pipe when that nut blew off it might have striped the threads off. This happend to me I just re-threaded it to a non metric thread. That was before I upgraded to a new pipe.

just look at it this way: the moped gods are telling you to get a performance pipe for her.

THAT IS FORKING LOUD!!!

Randall F /

Ugh I hit back on accident and lost my whole message...

It is easily as loud as a huge harley now, is it illegal to have a moped that loud? I live in cincinnati ohio...

DON-O Do you know what the laws in ohio about bike noise are? Im not sure I would want to even full throttle it like that, it might make me go deaf!!!!!

Ganna go up to the hardware store now and get a piece of pipe and buy a drill....

-rand

Groan

Randall F /

BLEH I could only get .5 inch pipe and it was TOO BIG! By like maybe .05 of an inch... BLAH BLAH BLEH!!!

Does it have to match the baffle diameter exactly? Well, doesnt really matter, im ganna have to go with 3/8 or whatever the hell they have at the hardware store.

Bleh!

-rand out

Gregory Mcintire /

The 4 inch tube sticks into the aluminum peice about 3 and 1/2 inches, sticking out or the aluminum tube about 1/2 inch. Its holes must be in that end that stick out, as well as on the other end. The holes are the same on one end as the other such that you could put it in either way.

The nut is an odd one. I believe it is a 7mm metric. Keep in mind that when you specify a nut as being 6 or 7 or 8mm that that refers to the size of the hole, not the size of a wrench that fits it. If you cannot find a 7mm metric nut you may be able to cut new thread with a 1/4 inch fine thread die. You could also weld on a new threaded rod to replace the existing end. It is a rod about a foot long. Just remove the single bolt holding the muffler to the frame, then you can remove the muffler and work on it easily.

One comment about "performance" pipes. They tend to be a compromise. You may gain more top speed but at the loss of power on the low speed. I tried a Biturbo on my Puch Maxi. It gave a slight gain on the top end but completely destroyed the bottom end. It was absolutely gutless until I got up to about 22 MPH, and then its performance gain was only minimal.

An expansion chamber (performance exhaust) has to be designed with the port timing and port size of the cylinder taken into account as well as the RPM of desired power band. In otherwords there is no such thing as a properly designed one-size-fits-all pipe. The various models of Puch mopeds alone have at least three different cylinder port configuarations (maybe more that I don't know of) so any given pipe advertised for the Puch can't be made to work well with all of those variations.

Re: Groan

Gregory Mcintire /

Your 1/2 inch must be refering to the inside diameter? 1/2 O.D. should go in easily. If you use pipe too small it will slip all the way into the aluminum tube and not work. I found my piece of pipe in my junk box. Don't know what it came off of.

There is standard copper tubing that is exactly 1/2 inch O.D. that should work. Remember that copper comes in soft roll and rigid. I think they are measured differently with respect to I.D. and O.D.

Ok, here we go

Randall F /

Ok, I found a "1/2" size of copper "tubing" the bendable stuff, and drilled that out, here is my finished piece:

Here is what I plan to put in all of it based on everything ive been told, note the pen is just to show where the threaded post would be... I plan to use a wire clamp on the post instead of a nut, because I cant get the nut. Its rigged all to hell and back, HOPEFULLY IT WILL WORK!!!

Wish me luck, let me know if there is anything you would change...

-rand

AND THERE I GO!!!!

Randall F /

WOW!!! SMOOOOOTH AS BUTTER!!!

My engine has NEVER run so well, I cleaned off the exhaust port, tossed that baffle in there, put the pipe in, put the washer on, and CRAP, no room for the other thing, so I cross-threaded a bolt that I had onto it with a wrench, seems to be holding fine and even comes off ok...

Compared to riding it with no baffle, its like being in a cadillac, HOLY HELL!!!

My only worry is that extended heat might melt that tubing, but the titanium tipped drill bit at like 3000 RPM didnt melt it, so I guess it should be fine...

THANK YOU GREGORY!!!

You must be a moped genius man, to know how to rig up something like that... You saved my life man, you ever need something out of cincy you come find me man!

Man, I dont know what the hell I would do without this website, you guys are all the best :D

-rand

Re: AND THERE I GO!!!!

Randall F /

The melting point of Copper is 1083.4

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account