The unsolvable problem

I have an 87 Fa50, with about 900 miles on it, before i touched it , it hadnt been run in a while. first i put some gas in it then tried to start, after figuring out that the rear brake lever had to held down to engage the kickstart i tried to start, no start, then i saw that the ignition coil was not properly attached, that black and yellow wire wasnt hooked up right, so i ran an extension to the black and yellow wire that comes off the cdi box. Then i got spark i cleaned the carb after that , tried to start and it rumbled a bit and died with the aid of brake cleaner, so then i got some starting fluid and sprayed that in and tried to start, at first it started real nice and the whell started spinningand moments later it died out, i was pulling the throttle a little after inspecting the carb i noticed that there was fuel in the bowl and that the jet leading from the bowl was IMMACULATE. so clean u cud eat of it not once but twice. this was due to the many times i cleaned it. it runs if i put starting fluid in , the spark is big bright and blue, i deduced that this is not a fuel problem up until the reed valve( after that im not sure) ive also deduced that the spark is perfect so is the electrical system. i can even honk the horn this is not the reason of failure. i just took the muffler off could this be a problem? Is it dangerous to run without a muffler?, how would i go about cleaning the muffler out? are there any replacements for the muffler if the muffler is not the prob what is? Im running with out an air filter, when i put it on it gets better but i can only go about 3 miles an hour, maybe 2.99 miles any hour.

Please Help im about to ride this over a cliff and into the river.

Dave

Re: The unsolvable problem

Hey

you can try to clean the muffler out with oven cleaner if it is clogged.

are you maybe runnin gtoo lean or too rich?

Jason Luther /

i would buy a new spark plug. is it electronic timing? or else the timing may be off. try it without the muffler, its loud as hell, but if it runs you know your problem, just dont run it for too long. but with only 900 miles i doubt its a carbon problem. maybe wasps built a nest in there. happened to my riverside.-jason

the spark plug is a new ngk and it has electric timing

could be a compression problem, cause u have fuel and spark so the only key thing missing is the compression

i got it to work , i cleaned the carb out like crazy with compressed air, boy there was a lot of stuff that soaking and spraying with carb fluid didnt get, so much that it blew in my face and blinded me, then after i put everything back together i drove around at first it did 15-20 then i shut if off for about 30 mins then i was able to do about 25 then i went on a trip for about 2 days, then i tried to start no luck so i messed with the carb screws, and started it and it did about 15, looked at the plug and noticed it was really fouled later to come i found out that my choke cable was messed up and the choke was on all that time, so i disabled the choke all together it still does 15 so i did a spark test and i noticed that the spark is really really poor so i increased the gap made a bigger spark but i still couldn't get past 15 (all this was about 3 days my buddy recently dropped it off from his house where it sat for some good time, when it was over there the spark i got was huge bright and blue, then it sat for a few weeks, and then i got it at my house and i tried to start it no luck , i flooded it a lot, once i let it dry out then it started up fine , but any way my spark is deteriorating every time i let it sit, i used to be able to get big bright blue spark but now i will be luck if i can get a a tiny speck of yellow, what should my gap be at? and would it help if i got a new plug

well i have that same year and model and mine sat for 10 days and it stared up with about 2 kicks ... i have about 700 miles on mine ... i dont know what it could be ... get the manual for the moped ... it has worked wonders for me

you have to run some sort of exhaust on a two stroke to get proper preformance. i am getting about 45 out of mine. i just banged the hell out of the exhaust with a hammer while it was off and shook out the fragments through the large end. i ended up using compressed air also

wait so ur saying i can take out the baffles and ill be ok? if possible can you send me a check list of what to do to get mine to match yours? sometimes when i start it and get on ill full throttle the bike and it wont move, i only weigh 160 lbs not even that

to see if your exhaust is the problem try loosening the exhaust bolts at the cylinder just enogh to make it leak a little and see if you get any better performance. if you do this and get better response e-mail me and i'll give you some ideas

the strokes themselves sounded cleaned, and more distinct

Ben Van Zoest /

You said 'full throttle' does the engine rev up at all?

a little up until half way

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account