columbia commuter throttle.

Matthew Woodson /

so i should probably be drawing a diagram of this, but i will try and explain what has happened.

i know very little about moped repair and had "driven" the commuter (it is a late 70's model, which year i am not sure) for a day. i bogged the engine, and knew i had from the noises and thought that was the only problem. so i let it sit for the night, and whei came back to it, it became apparent to me that the throttle wasnt doing anything (it just turns loose, no pull at all). i am not sure what tthe throttle should look like NOT broken, but what appears to have happened is that a small tube shape piece of metal that catches the cable leading into the throttle has broken off or come loose. so now the cable just kind of winds around the throttle when i try and turn it.

the question is, is it broken or has it just come loose? if it is broken i can weld it together, but i am scared of getting the cable mixed into the weld.

if i can not fix it, then replacing it is an obvious step. the choke works fine, but on top of the the throttle being broken, the brake is missing the piece that grabs the brake cable....so replacing the whole hand set would not be something i would complain about. does anyone know where i could find the whole hand set for the columbia, or atleast one that will work with it?

many thanks

Re: columbia commuter throttle.

Matthew Woodson /

oh, and on top of this: after i cleared up the bogging on the engine it started up fine, but was barely pulling me along...and i am hoping that this is just due to the throttle being disconnected.

Ben Van Zoest /

You will have to see of the cable ball-end came out the slot.

Disassemble the throttel handle. Try a bike shop for brake cable to lever clamp they are simular.

Ben Van Zoest /

You can find a lot of parts at THEMOPEDJUNKYARD.COM

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account