busted trhead

i have a puch maxi with one of the cylinder threads busted, has anyone ever had this problem and if so what did you do about it. i think i might try to helicoil it but im not sure how that would work so i considered puttin larger threads in there for bigger bolts because im planning on modding the engine quite a bit so i want the strength.

Re: busted trhead

Gregory Mcintire /

I think that generally a helicoil, done properly, is stronger than the original. If you put in a larger stud you may run into problems with fitting the cylinder and head without drilling them also.

Scott Joyce /

thanks for the info

Jason Luther /

if you put two nuts on the bolt, you can just turn it out and replace it with another one, that is , unless ofcourse, its broken off at the engine case. i cant see any reason to put bigger studs in there.-jason

i'm a toolmaker and helicoil is def. the best way to go... like scott said IF it's done right.

whats a helicoil?

I think it a the shape of DNA or something!!

Jason Luther /

but why not just unscrew the old stud and put in a new one? a million times easier.-jason

to amory... it's not the stud its the hole. to guywaters... a helicoil is a coil of spring steel that takes the shape of the orig. thread after the hole has been drilled and tapped slightly larger than orig. and to banjerbob the shape of dna is a double helix. PEACE

Scott Joyce /

yah i wish the prob was as easy as putting in a new bolt but its the threads in the engine block that broke so i have ot helicoil them.

Jason Luther /

okay, then disregard everything i said before dr crick.-jason

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account