backfires from air intake

how do u make it stop backfireing from the air intake

Re: backfires from air intake

Gregory Mcintire /

You have to be a lot more specific than that.

What make and model? Under what conditions does it backfire... wide open throttle, while going fast, slow or inbetween, or what? Have you done anything yet such as put in a new spark plug?

i put a new spark plug in ,and it only backfires in full throttle,cleaned the carb and every thing it is verry simmular to the 1973 sparta buddy

To me it sounds like a timing issue...

Alan

Gregory Mcintire /

Another thing other than timing that can cause backfiring is having loose connections in the ignition circuit. This includes every wire from the points/condenser to the HT coil including the kill switch wiring. A loose wire can have the same affect as the points opening, and thus firing the spark at the wrong time.

that is another problem the wireing is so messed up and it is not really my bike it is the guys acoss the street and he will not sell it to me

Preignition can also cause backfire..

"Normal" preignition usually happens when the piston is near TCD and all you might hear is a ping.

But lets say you are running lean and hot at full throttle.. a piece of carbon or something in the combustion chamber is glowing red hot. This could ignite the mixture at anytime, perhaps while the transfer and intake port is still open.. Result is a backfire through the carburetor.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account