Re: cleaning gaz tank solution...what do you think

Brett Walker /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I used Behrs concrete and rust etcher. You can buy a gallon of it at home depot for about 12 bucks, fill your tank up and let it sit for a good hour or two. Drain the substance back into the container it came in and then flush out your tank with a lot of gas. This did the trick on my puch, theres still some debris down in the bottom of the tank but for the most part its really fine silt and doesnt come through till I put my tank on reserve. Every so often I have to clean out the carb but, like my other puch, I eventually had all that debris just get flushed out as I ran a lot of gas through and changed fuel filters often. The Behrs stuff is phosphoric acid, it acts like a sand paper at first, loosening all the rust then it disolves it. Its semi harmful stuff, gloves and googles are somewhat recommended, I would also try not to get it on the paint job.

Putting sand in a tank doesnt seem like that good of an idea, however lead pellets, like buckshot may work. Lead is soft, it wont damage or dent the tank. Water just seems like it would worrsen the rust problem.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account