How to remove float bowl from bing carb

Can someone please tell me how the float bowl is removed from the body of a bing carburettor. It seems to have a nut at the bottom, and the nut seems to be an integral part of the bowl. Is the best way to attach a socket wrench to the nut, or is it better to grab the bowl itself with something and twist? Any suggestions on how to do this and minimize damage would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Thor

Re: How to remove float bowl from bing carb

you need to un srew it, use a socket or a wrench on that, and hold the other side with something so you dont hurt your hand...

Thank you. I'll give it a try.

thor

See Ya Moped Army /

When you put the bowl back on, just hand tighten it. It's kinda like an oil filter....you don't want to torque it down too much, just enough to allow the fiber gasket to seal.

ditto that .. the big nut on the bottom gives some people the wrong idea and they crank down on it.

got the float bowl off. Thanks for the advice, you guys bring a wealth of information to the table. This sort of stuff is not in the Puch manuals that I have.

My next challenge is to get the needle jet and main jet off and try to get them unclogged. I've sprayed some carb cleaner and will let it sit overnight. I have no compressed air, so will have to try another method to clear the ports. Any tips on the procedure would be appreciated. Thanks again. You guys make it easy and fun to be into mopeds.

Thor

See Ya Moped Army /

Go to the computer section in Walmart or Radio Shack and get some compressed air in a can. It works just as well. You need to blow that stuff out of those jets and the passageways in the carb.

Heres something else.. it doen't replace strong compressed air when blowing out passages but it excells at cleaning small parts of all kinds.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3305

if the link is toast, go here

http://www.harborfreight.com/

Item number 3305

I bought one and am very happy with it, especially the price.

The internal tank is 6"long x 3.5wide and will hold your solvent to about 1.5 inches deep. This is pretty large and you can do half the carb body and then turn it over. Plenty of room for all the small parts.

It runs for 3 minutes at a time when you press a button. Usually, several cycles are required to remove rust and dirt but eventually you are down to bare metal with no harm to the part.

I made the mistake of leaving the little plastic basket in it while using strong carb cleaner and that basket melted away.. But the stainless tank can survive any solvent or cleaner.

Warning: Ultrasonic cleaners produce high powered microscopic bubbles that burst. This heats the liquid. If you use a flamable solvent there is some risk. This is probably the reason for the 3 minute cycle. They tell you not to use solvents in the tank, just soap or detergent. Big professional units have heat sensors and auto-shutoff features. This one doesn't.. So, if you use flamable solvents, also use your head..

Ben Van Zoest /

I have an exploded view page of the Bing Crab 12/15 as used on the Columbia moped. I had a poor running engine

had to de-rust the gas tank. The carb comes off very easy and two slotted screws removes the bowl. You can unscrew the needle valve seat 1/4 socket to eye the tiny hole. I used a broom fiber to push out after soaking in carb cleaner solvent the deposits. My machine sat for 10 years or so. I found it simple to repair, however I have a user manual! Good luck.

Ben Van Zoest /

I have an exploded view page of the Bing Crab 12/15 as used on the Columbia moped. I had a poor running engine

had to de-rust the gas tank. The carb comes off very easy and two slotted screws removes the bowl. You can unscrew the needle valve seat 1/4 socket to eye the tiny hole. I used a broom fiber to push out after soaking in carb cleaner solvent the deposits. My machine sat for 10 years or so. I found it simple to repair, however I have a user manual! Good luck.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account