puch runs but not for long

Chris Prendergast /

i have an 85 puch maxi. just rebuilt carb except for the jet. it will run fine for about 45 secs to a min revs up slightly for a sec then dies. i can restart it after but then it will do the same thing. any sugg??

Re: puch runs but not for long

sounds like the float bowl fills with fuel, runs for a minute and runs out of fuel. The "revs up slightly for a sec" is typical of running out of fuel.

First try this. Let it run out of fuel, turn off the petcock or clamp the fuel line and unscrew the float bowl and see if there's any fuel in there. If not you have a sticking float needle or something is preventing adequate fuel flow into the bowl.

Chris Prendergast /

i will try that idea. as i said i replaced float, needle and gaskets and i was wondering also if there was a float adjustment that needed to be made or do they come factory set. i also replaced the petcock and fuel line. not really sure what else would prevent fuel flow except for the float.

Float levels come factory set but sometimes need adjustment. If you have no manual and no guide, take the bowl off, turn it upside down. If the float is nearly parallel with the body of the carb, you are pretty close.

Float needles sometimes stick in the hole. I can imagine that a brand new needle might be even more prone to doing so than one that is worn in.

I think it's running out of gas. Close inspection of fuel flow from the tank to the engine will reveal whats wrong.

btw, why did you replace those internal carburetor parts?

Chris Prendergast /

i bought the moped at a yard sale for $35 yes thats right $35 with 1100 miles and it must have been sitting awhile because everything was gummed up including the fuel line, i mean it was solid, so i figured why not replace everything.

you mentioned you didnt replace the jet. I imagine that you did remove the jet during the cleaning process, no?

A partially clogged main jet or it's passage can cause the same symptoms.

Chris did you clean the little thimble shaped mesh filter that is inside the hollow bolt that holds the Fuel intake pipe on the carb?

Chris Prendergast /

i saw something inside the bolt, red and round. is that the filter? if it is i did not take it out. got another ques. not carb related. the headlight bulb did not come with ped its the square type. do you know what type of bulb it is and what keeps it in place??

Yep that's the filter. be very careful with it, it is very fine wire mesh and will crush easily. Best to soak it in some cleaner solvent or spray it with carb cleaner(watch your eyes). Then blow it out with some compressed air.

Also clean out the actual tube where the fuel line attaches to make sure there is no gunk in there.

Don't know about the headlight, could be a European model. Look on the back for 6V ?W or on the glass itsself. They are usually secured by the headlight rim or side screws.

Chris Prendergast /

carb problems are over. winner is ...zippy!! i pulled that mesh filter and it ran like a champ. can you run it without it? and use a inline filter of some sort. thanks for your help

boo hoo..

i said "i think it's running out of gas" and i get nothing? Not even a booby prize?

yeah, you can run without it by why would you? It tried to save you the trouble of cleaning the carb by trapping all that crap. If you knew better, and now you do, all you need to do is clean that screen once in a while.

An inline filter is just another thing that can and will clog up.. and it provides two more joints for a potential leak.

Regular maintainance is the cure, not more or less filters..

I agree with Joe and the good engineers from Puch that designed that filter into the carb. So I would suggest you clean it and install it to help trap debris from clogging up your main jet.

Inline filters or OK on these old bikes but you need to solve the root of the problem and fluch, clean and treat the tank, otherwise it's like painting over rust. And one day that fine old Puch's gas tank will rust through and you will end up with a moped boat anchor.

Anyway congratualtions for solving the problem and getting another old classic moped back on the road. Good job.

Happy Trails

Chris Prendergast /

sorry joew honarable mention to you. thank you again

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account