Honda moped lights burning out

Hi - I've got 2 honda hobbits and an express - and I keep burning out the light bulbs (including the headlamp, which costs $35 bucks at Honda!).

I suspect this is a voltage regulator thing - but don't know where to find the regulator - or how to fix this problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks! Rob K - Atlanta, GA.

1087266499_mopoagogo.jpg

Re: Honda moped lights burning out

Make sure you have a battery and that it is fully charged. The battery acts as a voltage regulator

It dosn't have to be charge at all but it must be there

Guys - at the risk of sounding dumb - I have never seen a battery on my 2 hobbits or honda express!! I'm surprised you're saying there is one. Where should they be located? No wonder the darnn bulbs are toasting!

batterys were first installed in.. hmm.. 1980.. same year the 20mph model was dropped.

electronic ignition was added in '81.

I bet your one of the wires is being crossed with the ground wires that feeds to the engine for power. If one of the wires touches any bar metal part of the bike it feeds it self back to the engine. That may result in to much power and blowing the light. That happed to me acouple of times. if thats happening then the normal wire wich is less power is not being used.

Okay - I've got two '78 models and one '80 - so the wire crossed with the ground wire makes sense - since according to what's being said - only my 1980 model would have a battery anyway.

Thanks again!

Besides ebay, does anybody have connections for getting light bulb set for Honda PA50's or Honda Expresses. I'm going friggin' broke at the honda dealer.

Leon Swarmer /

The Express battery is under the seat (or should be anyway)

my HOnda dealer has an aftermarket lamp for $26.00 with a replaceable lamp inside it. do a search here and you can find info I (and others) posted before.

Leon

Ah yes - I've removed the seat, but the batt was missing - I'll get one and install it. It's 6 volt, correct? Doesn't look like there is much room under that seat....

That's likely my problem with that bike, anyway. Thanks for the hint on the 26 dollar replaceable model. I'll do a search to find specifics.

Rob

Leon Swarmer /

yep, 6 volt 2 amp hour. Read the instructions carefully on the battery.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account