Garelli Overheating

I think my Garelli is overheating, it seems to be almost melting the spark plug wire and after 10 mins of use it starts to get slower on pickup. Does anyone know what could be causing this? any remidies?

Re: Garelli Overheating

Michael Bernier /

What kind of head gasket are you using? If it is hi-temp form-a-gasket silocone stuff it could be preventing heat transfer between the cylinder and the cylinder head. Because these engines are air-cooled, spreading the heat over a larger area helps them stay cooler.

Also, what kind of gas r u using? I have heard that higher octane gas burns a bit hotter, but maybe someone else knows better than I do.

You may also be running lean, meaning you have too much air in your gas/air mix. This can be corrected by up-jetting or restricting air-flow.

Michael Bernier /

P.S. A plug chop will tell you if you are too lean (and running too hot). Check Fred's Guide in the Articles section of this website for instructions if you need.

also check and adjust your ignition timing..

does timing effect the engine heat? doesnt it make the engine sound kinda pingy? because mine is doing so.

Overheating can cause preignition.. Preignition can cause overheating.. Preignition is the pings you hear.. there are things besides timing that can cause preignition.

http://www.hastingsmfg.com/Service%20Tips/detonation_and_preignition.htm

But the question is exactly what's causing it to overheat? lack of cooling air? a lean air/fuel mixture? exhaust restrictions?

Do some searching on the net .. "overheating + 2-stroke + engine + causes" or similar..

i will check out the timing this weekend, i also changed the engine gear box oil and that cooled it down a little. would this been effecting it?

its not clear exactly what is overheating.. the entire engine block? If so and the transmission is in the same case, then sure.. a transmission problem could spread the heat throughout the engine block..

Proper lubrication of all kinds is vital as far as keeping heat / friction to a minimum.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account