Tomos Electrics (bulbs)

I need help finding out why my rear bulbs (brake and Running) keep burning out... I replace them and about 3 months later POP! one or both are out again.

I have traced the wires and see no place where it could be grounding. I mean, I can understand that the brake one goes out sooner because I ride all the time (5,000 kms per year)... HELP

Alan

Re: Tomos Electrics (bulbs)

The tail lights are routed on the inside of the rear fender. Look under there to check for a short. If the wires sag any they could have rubed against the tire and become frayed.

What kind of shape are your rubber gromets in the go inbetween the taillight and the fender? I know I have had thos wear out and cause alot more vibration, and eventualy breaking bulbs.

-chris

Gregory Mcintire /

Another way to dampen vibrations is to fill the tail light fixture cavity (behind the bulbs and reflector) with plumbers putty. I used to blow a bulb every couple weeks till I did the putty mod. Haven't blown one since, and it has been over a year now.

The rubber gromets are fine... Just replaced them about 5 months ago & everything is still tight.

Alan

Nobody mentioned this so far so maybe it should be.

On many bikes that use a magneto and unsophisticated electrical delivery system, the current demands on the engine as well as engine RPM can make voltage to the lights extremely variable. Too high a voltage can easily burn the little bulbs. Without a battery or a voltage regulator, some lights may pop a lot.

One 'fix' may be to install higher voltage bulbs. They will not be as bright but they are less likely to pop. (I'm not sure if higher or lower wattage bulbs will help.. I'll think on it after i have my morning coffee and my brain is in gear.)

if he has a targa with a a35 motor it has a voltage regulator, if the gromets are fine you could have a bad/going bad voltage regulator.

-chris

Yea... I have a Targa LX. But the voltage regulator is brand new.

Alan

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account