Motomarina Sebring problems

Robert Susinski /

I have a 1985 Motomarina Sebring with a Morini engine. The bike will not start most of the time and when it does start it runs for 15 minutes and it shuts off. The engine is hotter than normal when it stops. My mechanic and I have tried about everything to get it going. Here is what i do know:

The carb is not the problem cuz i tried a new carb on it.

The flywheel key broke and was replaced but the bike started after that.

The clutch was checked and it is fine.

The bike is getting spark and the timing is correct.

The exhaust is not clogged.

The gas mix is correct and the gas is new.

The bike will not start after the engine stops.

Any ideas how i can get it going?

Re: Motomarina Sebring problems

gas cap plugged up?

Robert Susinski /

no probs with the gas cap....forgot to add...the clutch slips when trying to start the bike after it dies but the clutch was checked today and no probs there

Allen Murphy /

Have you checked the following:

Correct heat range for your spark plug

Correct jetting of the carb

Correct air filter and cover

Frankly, it sounds like you're running too lean of a fuel mixture--but without being there, it's hard to tell.

I've got the Morini "MO" engine on mine--when it runs right, it's a darling, but when it acts up-----!

Do you ahve the reapir manual from www.themopedjunkyard.com for the Sebring?

You say your flywheel key broke? Why did it break, When it broke, did it inlarge/stretch the hole in the crankshaft? That has happened to me before, when this happens the timeing will be off ( the flywheel can spin free/move from the crank.

-Did the bike start running bad after it broke of before?

-Do you have the fan and fan cover on and installed correctly?

Have you done compression and or leak down test to see what your rings and seals are like?

Just some ideas.

-chris

Oh yea, you say it only starts some of the time? The rest of the time, does it atleast sputter? Have you had the top end off on the bike and looked at the cylinder, piston, and rings?

-chris

Robert Susinski /

The flywheel key probably broke cuz i added a new speed kit(60cc). The hole for the flywheel key is fine except for a slight bevel. The compression is a strong 160 so it can't be the problem. The bike ran just like this before i added the speed kit....15 minutes and it stops. The engine was taken apart and the only thing questionable was the thickness of the raised pads on the starter clutch. Its like there is nothing wrong and the bike will just overheat and that causes the drive clutch to slip and the bike dies. It is running with the correct gas/oil mix, sparkplug is the same as in the morini rebuild manual and the oil was replaced today and also matches the morini manual. Oh and i did upjet so that can't be it.

The operation was successful but the patient died....

Spark plug should be a Champion #801(N3C) available at any Auto-Zone. Your jetting should be at least a #62.

Sounds like a flooding carb if it doesn';'t restart after sitting. Try shutting petcock after stopping every time. If it starts okay THEN, you need a new needle valve and/or float.

Is your point gap .016" and your plug gap .024"?

Are you running HIGH (93) octane? At 160 psi,you SHOULD!

Starter clutch should be adjusted so that when you ALMOST squeeze the clutch lever completely at the handle bars, it grabs and starts. Too tight and it won't idle off the stand.

Keep giving us input on it. You have one of the most dependable engines ever built there. I have never had an MO1 let me down in thousands of miles. Never squeeze the starter clutch after it starts.

One other thing..........if the base gasket loses its seal, it will hardly start after it warms up. Been there....suffered that! don-ohio

Re: Motomarina Sebring-Oh,Chris?

A Minarelli has a fan and fan cover......but his Franco Morini doesn't. They are easy to confuse(Morini and Motori Minarelli). don-ohio

Weird,

You never answered my question tho, when it wont start, does the motor still sputter? or nothing at all? What motor do you have on the bike? ( stock V1 with bore kit?) .

Before you converted it to the bore kit, how long did this happen? Like where you out riding it and one day it started acting up, or did it just stop working one day.

This is weird. Just a thought, I know you said the crank key hole was fine, but did you look in the taper in the flywheel itselt where the key slides into? make sure that did not get all groved up.

Re: Motomarina Sebring-Oh,Chris?

Ahh, I assumed his was a v90( is that the correct name? ) My sebring has a minarelli v90 on it.

-chris

Robert Susinski /

The sparkplug is an autolite 64. The jet is a dellorto #66 . The bike will not start after running at all. I ran it tonight for 7 minutes on the road and it died...i was doing at least 35 mph to keep it cool. The point gap is set to .18 and the plug was set to whatever is in the morini book i have. Myself and my mechanic are pissed because we get it to run about 15 minutes and thats it. This bike had the same probs with the 50cc parts and it has been the same with the new 60 cc kit so it has to be the same problem....just no idea how to fix it...

Have you tried "reading" the plug, to see if the motor is running to rich or lean? Its possible it could still be running lean ( not sure how, you have the right jet and everything ). I know its something simple ( but im trying everythign I can think of) is the petcock, gas tank, and fuel lines clean? If any are dirty the fuel could not keep that carb full, I dont know, just an idea, what kind of shape are they in?

But yea, try the plug test ( if you havent), give it full throttle inthen wile it still at full throttle hit the engine kill switch, remove the plug and check the color.

-chris

I hope you haven't heated it up too bad? I think you have a base gasket or INTAKE GASKET LEAK. Franco-Morinis ALWAYS run cool. They are like Minarellis.........KEWL Italian Stallions.

Drip carb cleaner or WD40 around ALL gasket connections,Rob. ANY change in RPMS indicates an inleakage which will lead to hard-starting and overheating. You need no more than a #64 jet. Re-read my post............your point gap is too wide.....especially if the points are used. You can go down to a .012" point gap.Set it at .014" for now.

Your SPARK PLUG is wrong as far as I know..........use the Champion #801 like I said. I've only run one of the Polini 60cc kits nearly 20K or maybe even more.LOL!

Have you used an induction timing light(battery powered from any separate battery) to check your timing? 23 degrees BTDC..........not over 26 degrees BTDC.

You may have the head too close to the piston, so check that you have at least 15 thousandths of tapered squish away from the domed piston crown. Look underneath the piston where the rod connects to the wrist pin and if it's blackened, the piston is carbonizing the FRESH fuel.

Franco-Morinis like at least a 40:1 gas to oil using a synthetic or semi-synthetic oil ratio.

Check for that deadly air inleakage...........it can even be a flyside crankseal inleaking on you.........in which case replace it with a Minarelli seal,which is stronger,better built. I can't post from work for 4 more 12 hr.shifts, but I'll hang weith you `cause I KNOW these engines are nearly bulletproof.

don-ohio

Robert Susinski /

The motor does sputter but only when i try to start it when the engine is cold. When the engine is hot the clutch slips and i get nothing. As for reading the plug, i can't get anything cuz the bike has not been running and it looks new when i pull it .

You operating the choke correctly,Rob? The `click-down' choke that when you open the throttle fully after several seconds, clicks open? Air inleakage is usually worse when warm, so there's a possibility there of that inleakage. But adjust your points closer, and make sure your gas is fresh and your carb isn't letting gas leak thru. Re-read my posts.........because I've been there......suffered that,Rob.

I've gotta go watch `post Impact' now with my girl,Linda. I'll post back if needed tomorrow night. don-ohio

he said he tried that and he couldnt get anything from it

Robert Susinski /

I replaced the magneto seal today and the bike will not start. Checked all of the other things and everything looks fine.

You sure you put the magento and everything back togethierright? Does it still have a nice spark? Have you had a look at the other seal ( tranny side)

-chris

Robert Susinski /

The seals are tight and the spark is nice and hot. My mechanic has looked at everthing and its just not working. I did find a some gas leaking from the carb.....just 1 more problem to add to it.

Re: Motomarina Sebring- Rob!

Listen.........I am confident if I had your engine/bike here I could fix it within an hour of troubleshooting. BUT, since I am in Ohio, and you have an ACE MECHANIC in Hawthorne,NJ called Chris at Mopedwarehouse, I would recommend strongly that you take it there to him.

He is a great guy and will solve the problem,I have no doubt, and charge you very fairly for it. I wish we could have nailed the problem over the forum, but sometimes it's not possible unless it's `hands on',unfortunately. ALL the BEST to you! don-ohio (:^D

I bet its something simple, that is being overlooked. Like don said, its hard to figure it out without looking at it. Its really strange your mechanic cant figure it out. Is he a moped mechanic? or just doing this on the side?

Robert Susinski /

I tried starting it for a night ride and I got a chirping noise from the front of the engine. Air leak up front somewhere....

Take it to CHRIS-Mopedwarehouse....... he has worked on so many Italian bikes, he can solve it! don-ohio

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account