Sachs won't run without choke

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

I've got a Sachs moped that won't rev up or drive without holding the choke in like at least half-way. It idles excellent without the choke, but when you open the throttle it just dies. Ive cleaned the carb, and points. Ive taken off the exhuast and it makes no difference. This bike only has 180miles so I didn't think it was a carbon buildup anyway. What do you think is the problem here?

Thanks,

Jon

Re: Sachs won't run without choke

Air leak ? Check head nuts, intake, litlle rubber gasket between carb and airbox (o-ring), I don't know if crank seal will do it but to make sure take of flywheel and check for oil deposits, last month I've changed seal on two Sachs.

Hey just a guess but you might be running too rich on the gas,

does the motor bog down?

Jonathan

definately an air leak

spray head gasket, base gasket with carb cleaner and see if the idle goes up

Jake Van Order /

"this happened to me":https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/6/3440/3440/ over Moped BBQ X weekend.

Wouldn't run and in fact, it would bog down at full throttle unless I choked it.

I literally took every aspect of my moped apart only to find that all I needed to do was put in a size 60 jet instead of 58. Ever since, it has been solid as a rock.

Try that out.

--jake

usually if it is that bad its more than just a jet problem

UNLESS, the last time you rode it was in the dead on winter. and now this is happening now that it is very hot

Jake Van Order /

John,

I refused to believe that it was only the jet. I took apart each and every aspect of my engine. clutch, electrical, exhaust, carburetion, cylinder, everything. Nothing. I even switched carburetors (including a change to a del orto carburetor).

After 4 days of tearing my moped apart, checking, putting back together and then testing, I tried a bigger jet and it worked. For some reason, my moped needed more gas than the day before.

Brooklyn,

What carburetor do you have? is it the 85/12/101 or 85/12/104?

--jake

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

Hey guys, my carb is an 85/12/101. It had a 52 jet on it which is small, and I had a 62 lying around so I put it on and now it runs well! Actually, it was running a bit rich and 4 stroking at high speed so I had to take off the airbox and now it runs almost perfect, still bogs a little bit at the top speed. I figure I can downjet to a 58 or 60 and I'll be in business.

Brooklyn

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

Also, what kind of trans fluid should I be putting into the bike?

Brooklyn

Jake Van Order /

type f

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account