need vespa help

I bought my first moped today from a guy in cleveland. its a vespa/piaggio (bravo?). it is not running and i dont have any experience w/ 2-strokes. does anyone else have one of these things? where do i go from here?

need vespa help

Re: need vespa help

Bruce Wilkinson /

Bee, I have a Ciao not a bravo. I also have a Si. Both are Vespas. I have a Bravo/ Ciao service manual, not for sale. I may be able to help you but sometimes the description of a problem is hard to pinpoint without seeing the moped.Look in the resources at the top of the page, then Articles and scroll down to "Freds guide to moped repair" This is the best way to learn about moped repair. Post any questions, someone will answer, I'm sure. Good luck, bruce

Bruce Wilkinson /

While I was typing my reply, Cyberian posted the "Fred's Guide" link. Great minds think alike. bruce

Huh?

freds guide was very useful. i learned i don't have a spark plug, but gas flows freely and compression is solid. i think the bike is missing a pulley that would fasten on the the flyweel, and a crank? belt would move it? is there such a thing and what is it called. does anyone know a good site for vespa-moped parts?

You may be talking about the variator belt (looks like a fan belt on older cars) but I don't know how you would crank it over to check compression without that belt.

Can you post a picture of where the missing belt would go?

Bee: There is a chain on the left, for the pedals to pull the rear wheel, and a belt on the right, for the wheel to pull on the engine (to get it started) and for the engine to pull on the back wheel (to move the moped). If you pedal and the back wheel turns, so far so good. If you pedal quickly, and all of a sudden the moped gets very hard to pedal, and the engine starts turning over, so much the better--you have the basic parts you need.

Edwin Johnson /

I own a ciao piaggio boxer 2

Edwin Johnson /

What year is it

mine is a 74 and right side has chain drive for pedals

left side has belt drive with the two-way clutch assembly on the motor output shaft.

rear wheel hub on belt side has a lever that releases a button and when out ..engages the drive pulley to the belt so you can start the motor.. clutch will engage and spin the motor when you go fast enough. push button in to pedal without motor..

the belt is there. it just seems like there should be a pulley on a shaft that the belt goes around at the engine. i checked the compression by putting visegrips on this shaft and turning it that way.

this is a 1978, i don't know what model it is, the plastic motor guards are missing. It doesn't have turn signals or mirrors, but does have chocks, speedometer/odometer, and metal gas tank. and it has 2.25 x 16 tires. i cant find a lever/button to switch operations (should i assume there wasn't one, or is this always supposed to be present?). What kind of wiring hooks up to the spark plug? thanks for all the help

Bruce Wilkinson /

There should be a big black wire coming from a HT coil with a cap on the end. Put a NGK B6HS sparkplug in the engine and attach the wire if there is one. If you post a picture it would be a great help. Zippy mopeds might have the parts you need. bruce

what is the gap distance for spark plug? thanks

Bruce Wilkinson /

Sparkplug gap is .020. bruce

thanks bruce. is the ht coil some kind of electrical converter or distributer? There is a round black mini starter looking thing on the right side of the bike with two black wires coming out of it at one spot. one goes into the engine and the other goes towards the kill switch (i think). i can't find any wire to go to the spark plug and this round box has a hole where you could plug a large wire into it. it seems like im missing a wire that would go from there to the spark plug. is this the case? where can i get such a wire? thanks, bee

ps i really appreciate everyones help...ill be swarming and destroying in no time

Bruce Wilkinson /

The first thing we must do is find out if you have a Ciao, Bravo, Si, or Grande. Look in the photo section and find a Vespa that looks like yours.Sounds like the HT wire is missing. Is there a screw inside the round box that a wire can be skewed on ?Can you PLEASE post a picture so we can see what is missing, and can help you better.There are different front pulleys on all Vespa mopeds. You may need a variator. bruce

my super slow internet connection won't allow me to post a picture. but this bike looks just like the 1978 vespa bravo/red under the photo gallery here. i found out that the round box is the ht coil. i found a bravo/ciao service manual on ebay. how helpful is it? are the setup of these bikes consistent through the years? does the service manual have a wiring schematic? bee

Bruce Wilkinson /

Buy the manual . It's worth every penny. bruce

Bruce Wilkinson /

The Bravo has a variator as the front pulley, not just a single pulley. bruce

Edwin Johnson /

the round hole in the black thing with two wires is where the plug wire goes

So i need a variator for the front, and a plug wire. where do i get these. also on the rear of the engine (the carb?) there is threading about 2 inches wide where something could screw on, maybe an air cleaner or something. WHERE CAN I GET PARTS!? thanks for all the help

Bruce Wilkinson /

A motorcycle shop should have a length of wire and sparkplug cap. Try Can. Tire or Auto zone if they don't.Sounds like the airbox is missing. It's a black plastic box the size of a cigarette box with a screen inside. It will not run without the airbox.Top speed is 5 mph without it.

Post for the variator and airbox here in the buy/sell section. Do you have the drive belt ? In the meantime, take the carb off and apart and clean it with carb cleaner. Make sure all the tiny holes inside the carb are not clogged.bruce

Re: grande 048B pedals lock up

larry e. jackson /

hey guys,need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a 1978 vespa grande 048B that pedals for a few seconds and then locks up. If you shake the rear tire it frees up for a few seconda and then locks up again.

What is my problem?

Thanks.

Larry

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account