Re: fixing a hobbit (long)

Travis Hill /

I'm not sure. I'll go by my shop and check on my lunch hour and let you know.

oh.. you don't have the bike there.. sorry.

I thought you were looking right at it and it had no filter holder and you were shining me on..

Yeah, it will have a filter holder accessed from the side. And right next to that might be the original metal sticker with instructions on how to clean the element.

Travis Hill /

Okay, yeah I saw the instruction sticker on how to clean it. But I had to clean a lot of gunk off to see it that so maybe it's just blending in and I've completely missed it. I'll look more carefully. Thanks again.

Travis Hill /

Joe,

I just looked at it and it's right where you said it would be. I also just got me a new spark plug from the assholes at my local motorcycle shop so I'm hoping I can get it running this weekend. Thanks again.

cool..

wtf is it about some people who work in bike shops.. i guess being around a lot of bikes all the time can make you uppity or something.

I prefer to get parts in autoparts stores if i can. The NGK BP6HS is $1.99 at Kragen. i dunno what the bike shop will charge me.

Travis Hill /

Yeah they really hate you if you come in looking for moped or scooter parts too.

We don't have a Kragen here. I didn't even try the auto parts stores that we do have because they didn't have a plug for my peugeot so I just figured they wouldn't have one for the hobbit. I paid $3.08 for the plug from this bike shop.

Travis Hill /

Okay I've put it all back together and now get no spark. As far as the wires go, I have matched all of the colors up. I tried to verify via the wiring diagram but had a lot of trouble using it. My headlight and tail light are lighing up as I pedal so I know I have some of them right. I took the flywheel off and put a piece of paper between the points until it came off clean. They are flat and the spring seems very good. I also made sure they were opening and they are. The only other thing I can think that it might be is the ignition key switch. I took the lock cylinder out and just turn the part under it w/ a screwdriver, but I'm not sure where the Run position is. I noticed that if I turn it horizontally the headlight gets a lot brighter when I pedal vs having it turned vertically so I'm thinking this is the run position? Oh yeah, I also made sure the kill switch is on run, and I do have a brand new spark plug. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

getting spark.

Until you get the wires hooked up correctly you will have problems. You can verify that the basic ignition ciircuit and components are OK by bypassing the rest of the wiring and switches.

There are 4 wires in the bundle coming out of the engine from the flywheel. The coil and condenser is near the rear wheel on the right side.

Connect the condenser wire (black/yellow) from the coil area directly to the black/ (yellow?) coming out of the engine.

You should now get spark.. and the engine should run fine regardless of bad switches or bad wiring on the rest of the bike.

If you get no spark, it would be a bad spark plug or condenser or ignition coil,magneto coil,points.. or their associated wiring.

wanna start a new thread? This one is getting unweildy.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account