brake cable broken :(

I busted a brake cable tonight, my left one, right at the nut where it attaches. Is is salvageable or am I going to need a brand new one? Also, is there anything I should know about installation if I have to buy a new one?

-rand

Re: brake cable broken :(

Its my rear one that broke, right at the nut on the handlebar, I can still see the threads of it sticking out of the end of the cable.

Please let me know if I can salvage the cable, im not too familiar with it, does it have to be a very specific length?

-Rand

Jason Luther /

itll be a alot easier to get a new one. the ball on the end has to be a specific size (usually smaller than a bicycle cables) and the lead, the amount of cable sticking out of the sheathing, needs to be a certain amount. cables arent expensive, and youll probably stop better too.-jason

Jason Luther /

ive made brake and throttle cables out of bicycle cables before, just file the ball down to the proper size, and cut the sheathing to get the proper lead. its still easier to buy one though.-jason

Replace with proper cable,Rand-OH.

where you at,Rand-OH? There is Handy Bikes in Columbus,.........Akron Moped on Main St. Akron,OH,.........Ike's Bikes near Georgetown,OH. You need to have these phone numbers handy. Handy Bikes- 1-614-299-0550 and Akron Moped - 1-888-753-1700, and Ike's Bikes 1-937-446-2115 before 2:30 PM weekdays. Okay? don-ohio

Re: Replace with proper cable,Rand-OH.

Don,

Im in central cincinnati, just above the city... How much do those places sell the cables for? I also only have a moped, no car, so I cant really get to ikes :( What place will ship it to me the fastest?

Thanks,

-rand

Re: Replace with proper cable,Rand-OH.

Ike is the fastest,I've found. don-ohio (:^D

Hey, thanks don, I talked to ike today, he had the best price for any that I've seen online, had just enough money on my card to put in the order :) Anything special about putting it on? Looks like you just kinda bend the calipers and let em slip back, but I want to make sure its tight enough and that the brakes dont rub... :)

Thanks again,

Randall

Thanks, Ike!

Got my cable today, ganna put it on first thing tomorrow... my helmet should come in the next few days, and then my moped will no longer be a grease-spot waiting to happen :)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account