crank bearing, slit wrists...

Jason Luther /

somebody is trying to tell me to push this thing off of a cliff (other than my wife heh) .okay, i got the new piston, i got the cylinder bored out to fit the piston, i cleaned the carb and unclogged the exhaust, i rewired the magneto because it was completely backwards. i put everything back together and it ran for like 1.5 seconds. now i took it all apart and discovered the crank bearings are bad. it is a wards riverside (benelli). what is entailed in replacing them, and/or should i just call it quits? but ive come so far....sigh -jason

Re: crank bearing, slit wrists...

Jason Luther /

i realize i am one of only 3 people in the world that has one of these, so a general piece of advice is more than enough.-jason

I say don't give up, and if you do I'll buy the bike, but these riversides are pretty rare, just find the model of benelli that it is and you can get ahold of parts fairly readily, but I think you should go for it if you have the time and a bit of money, if nothing else it will be a good learning experience to comletly rebuild the top and bottom ends.

i agree. I also think you got good cards and there's too much money in the pot to fold now.

First find the bearings and seals and gaskets. There's a good chance that the bearings can be gotten from any industrial bearing supplier.. just match the numbers. The seals likewise. After all, this is where the bike manufacturer originaly got the bearings and seals.

Gaskets? Make your own if you have to. No biggee.

Nice thing about mopeds is they don't require a lot of space to work on them..

Jason Luther /

thanks for the pep guys! is it a difficult process?, im fairly confident i can do it, but whats involved? i tried a search but it didnt really come up with anything. i guess what i need is a 'primer'.-jason

i can only guess. On a no-gears engine, usually you pull the clutch / flywheel /cylinder etc, split the crankcase and coax the bearings out. Seals will most likely be trashed but they are probably trash already. If you have anything to be concerned about it's recording your bottom end clearances (asuming they are within specs) and maintaining those clearances when reassembling. Without enough clearance those bearings won't be lubed properly. Come to think of it, examine everything closely and try to figure out _why_ your bearings went away..

The gaskets affect clearance.. everything matters.

I might try it without a manual but i would sure as hell prefer to have one to refer to. Chances are any similar service manual with complete bottom end instructions will give you most of the info you need.. the rest can be an educated guess.

Jason Luther /

wouldnt ordering the bearing and seals for this specific engine guarantee the proper clearances? the bearing went bad (im assuming) because everything else in the engine was toast. piston was toasted, and the cylinder was way out of whack. ill tear it down this weekend, so im sure ill have a million other questions. thanks.-jason

Nope.. clearance is determined by things like.. Well, lets say you spun a bearing. The bearing boss in the engine case will need to be cleaned up.. bingo.. you have more clearance than you need. And if you make your gaskets yourself, you have to be on the money as far as material thickness.. down to a couple thousandths of an inch if i recall. There may also be shims in there that you can add or subtract to adjust for wear..

Anyway, good luck with it..

Jason Luther /

oh boy... thanks again for the advice, ill tear her down, and see what i got.-jason

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account