no start/oil in exhaust HELP!!!

well today i figured i would ride my ped before selling it but when i tried to start it it wouldn’t

it sat in my shed for only 1 week with very little fuel

it popped once or twice

i checked the spark plug and it is covered with oil

then after cleaning it off i tried to start it again

after that i noticed some oil on the ground and noticed it was dripping out of the exhaust

it has good spark and half a tank of 50:1 fuel

why is there oil coming out of my exhaust?

why wont the ped run?

i dont want to remove the cylinder head if i don’t have to because i would have to replace all the old gaskets

its a 1980 puch 1 speed maxi luxe

hope i can fix this so i can still sell it for a good price

Re: no start/oil in exhaust HELP!!!

Gregory Mcintire /

If you left the fuel petcock turned ON during the week it sat in the shed it may have run fuel through the carb's float valve and then into the crankcase. Even if the petcock was OFF it may possibly not seal well. This would flood the engine causing it not to start and could also explain the dripping from the exhaust. Your exhaust likely always has a certain amount of unburned oil in it due to the amount of unburned fuel/oil mixture that a 2 stroke engine wastes. A simple piston port design such as this cannot help but waste a certain amount, and the oil part of the unburned fuel tends to collect in the exhaust pipe, eventually burning up when the motor is run hard enough and long enough.

Jason Luther /

long story short, your carb flooded and the 'oil' is gas thats black from the carbon.-jason

then how do i start it?

ive even tryed to start it with the petcock off

and my fuelvalve when turned off does only drip one drop every 5 minutes or so

so how do i fix my ped?

oh and there was very little gas in the tank when it was chillin in the shed for that week

Jason Luther /

get a new plug. get a new plug. get a new plug.-jason

Gregory Mcintire /

Remove the plug and crank the engine over fast and long so as to dry out the crankcase of any fuel. Do this with the throttle wide open, and choke OFF. Then replace the plug and try starting normally.

If the petcock leaks at all it can cause the problem. The only way I know to fix that particular petcock is to replace it. It has a flat, round rubbery (maybe neoprene?) disk in it with four small holes. I don't think you can find a replacement for that part. The entire petcock can be found. I found a new one on eBay but I think some of the moped dealers have them also.

one drop every 5 minutes? Probably more like one drop per minute..

Thats 60 drops per hour..

1440 drops per day..

10,080 drops in a week. Divide by 20 and you get 504 milliliters of fuel.

Thats 17 ounces of fuel.. More than a pint. (about 1/2 liter)

If you got anywhere near a pint of fuel in your crankcase, you aint goin anywhere..

ok kool i just got the new plug, un-flooded the engine a little, installed the new plug and it runs better than ever

thanks for your help guys

good job.. party time :)

Jason Luther /

1440 drops a day...... thats hillarious. way to put things into perspective.-jason

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account