Tomos

When I start riding my moped it will be able to get up hills and it has a good take off. After riding for 20 minutes it will go much slower when going up hills and the take off will be bad. If I let the moped sit for 20 minutes it will be back to normal and after 20 minutes the same thing keeps on happening. What could be the problem? Thanks

Re: Tomos

John Joedicke /

Check your transmission oil,or maybe a soft seize is happening , who knows?

John Joedicke /

Another thought, is the gas tank venting?

Matt Byers /

What is venting?

Jake Van Order /

maybe it is compression (try changing your head gasket and base gasket)

it could be the condensor (in the stator plate) but is unlikely.

Venting- there are vents in your gas cap that allow the gas to flow easily down into your petcock. If they are blocked gas wont flow. (kind of like when you are poring the gas from a plastic gas can. If your dont unplug the little vent on the top gas doesnt flow out easily)

Next time it runs badly try removing the gas cap and ride. if it runs better you know whats wrong.

Matt Byers /

If it was any of these problems would the problems stop after you let the engine cool down and start when the engine is warm because that's what is happening with mine.

I recently had a similar problem. Once the dead gasket finally blew we had the answer. In my case, the cylinder head bolts had vibrated loose barely enough to compromise compression, eventully this caused the head gasket to let go entirely. The fix: torque the bolts to spec and locktight them. Then make checking the torque part of your regular planned maintenance routine.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account