flooding garelli

i have a 1984 garelli super sport xl with a delorto 1412 carb. my engine really loves to flood. i have difficulty starting it. carb has been cleaned. the float and shit work. it just likes to flood.

Re: flooding garelli

Jake Van Order /

Are you sure the float needle isn't worn? Even if it is a little bit, the carburetor will flood.

Does it flood while running or while sitting still?

--jake

it floods when off

it won't flood if you turn off the fuel at the tank.. however that's not the problem.

The float bowl is just like a toilet tank. Water comes into the tank and a "float" floats on top of the water. The float is attached to a lever. At the end of that lever is a shut-off valve.

When the water gets to a certain height, the float forces the valve to close and the water shuts off.

A carb has a float and a valve (more commonly called a float needle). Your needle is not shutting off the fuel. There can be a few reasons for this.

Maybe the float is not floating. Maybe there's some bit of crud stopping the needle from seating . Maybe the float level is set so high that the needle can never shut off the fuel. Maybe the needle's tip is worn.

Check it out..

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account