Confusing tomos electical problem -- on a 01 Targa

Reuben Mahaffy /

Ok -- a while ago i had posted a question regarding the signals on my 01 targa: they had stopped working, started again for no apparent reason, and then quit for good. Around this same time i was having problems with the headlight -- just the low-beam actually. I took apart the headlight assembly and found that the problem was a very large amount of corrosion on the low-beam lead of the bulb/socket -- so much so that it had stopped making contact altogether.

Well, i removed the bulb, cleaned both contacts and put it back together -- and put a small glob of solder over the connection to ensure a clean contact. This is where things got strange: When switched to low-beam, the high beam indicator light is on, and only the low beam filament of the headlight bulb lights. When switched to high beam, the indicator light stays on, and both filaments light up, but very weakly, even at higher RPM s. I thought that the heat from the solder had perhaps fused something inside the bulb, causing a connection to be made, so i purchased a new bulb today, but the problem remains.

The other problem is that the turn signals have quit altogether, i've been up and down the wiring multiple times, and all the connections seem to be sound/not grounding out. The bulbs all are fine. The switch appears fine too. I'm out of ideas for both situations. Could these problems be related?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated -- Reuben

Re: Confusing tomos electical problem -- on a 01 T

Reuben Mahaffy /

one thought is that somehow i've changed the resistance on the headlight circuit -- does this seem like a viable possibility. How would it remain this way with a new bulb though?

if you found one corroded connection there are probably many more. corrosion in itself increases resistance assuming there is electrical contact.

and if "... When switched to low-beam, the high beam indicator light is on..." etc, it sounds to me like you don't have the wiring 100% perfect yet.

The rear wireing harness goes inside the rear fender. Check that. It is possible that your tire has rubbed against and fayed those wires.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account