cylinder grinding sound

Puch Maxi Luxe 1 speed. I installed a new piston, and I didnt break it in good enough, had a siezed engine sound (high piched grinding metal noise) and now it make a similar noise after I rev it a little. What Should I Do? Get a new piston? New Cylinder head? I might just say fuck it and get a kit. Replies are appreciated

Thanks

Re: cylinder grinding sound

Jason Luther /

what is the condition of the cylinder? if it isnt too scratched or scored up you should be able to reuse it, but you cant rebore them because they are chromed aluminum (i think). depeding on the condition of the piston you might need a new one, definatly new rings.-jason

Matt Grogan /

I turned it over tonight and It seized up. I'm gonna pull it apart tommorow and see what the condition of the piston rings and cylinder are. I hope I can fix this, because I dont have the money for a speed kit yet. I still have patience . Thanks Jason.

just out of curiosity, why did you replace the old piston?

Matt Grogan /

I pulled it apart and a ring broke on the piston. Now it is stuck in the cylinder. How the hell do I get it out? That thing is in there lcemented.

Thanks

Matt Grogan /

It was scratched up an it had carbon on it. And when I installed it I brok a ring. MWH was selling the rings for $16 and the piston and rings for $40 so I got the new piston. I thinks I mighta got the wrong size. How do you get a piston out that is jammed in the cylinder? A ring broke. Do the break because of not breaking them in?

there's no special trick to it afaik, but i wouldn't know for sure.

Determine what is jamming the piston and get that out of the way. If you broke a ring, some part of the rest of the ring is probably expanded into a port. If the ring is caught in the exhaust port it should be possible to reach into that port and push the ring back into the ring groove..

I guess if you can't get the piston out a last resort would be to save the cylinder and connecting rod, etc by cutting the piston out.

Call or have a shop look at it before you just take a hammer to it.

Rings break when they get caught in a port. One reason they may get caught in a port is insufficient ring-end clearance.. and I suppose heat build up due to a poor run-in could do it. There may be other reasons.

Do what you can to save the cylinder and rod .. get a few expert opinions from engine repair shops.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account