78 Honda Express no spark

Kevin Friedli /

I just came across this website while looking for information on this 78 express. The moped has no spark and wiring is all hanging out where the ignition switch used to be. Although I understand automotive repair quite well I don't have the first idea about how this ignition system works. From reading some forums last night I have discovered a bit about magnetos but I still can't figure out how to wire this moped. Anyone know where I can get a diagram or maybe even a brief explanation about how a moped ignition system works. Thank-you , Kevin

Re: 78 Honda Express no spark

There's a chance that the diagram attached to this thread is similar enough to your bike to do some good.. it's from a '78 Honda Hobbit.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/6/1611/1497/

Kevin Friedli /

Thanks for your quick response. The wiring diagram is extremly helpful especially since the ignition switch is gone. I've been reading several forum discusions looking for information and have found several that say you may need a battery, headlamp and tailamp to make spark. Do you know if this the case with 78 express? I am missing the hadlamp and taillamp. I have a battery but I don't think it is anygood. Thanks again for the help. Kevin

I don't think any of the Hondas are dependant on all bulbs and connections in working order to make a spark. Some other bikes do.. i can''t remember the brand name. Why someone would wire a bike so a freakin' bulb is a vital part of the ignition circuit is beyond me..

I have a honda C70 4-stroke that has a battery but it runs fine without it. (as long as the battery connector wires are twisted together) None of the lights work without the battery on that bike.

I know nothing about your bike but i can hazard a guess..

If you hotwire the ignition (and perhaps bypass the kill switch) you should be OK.. As far as i know, those two connections are the only ones that ground the coil and prevent spark. Of course you may have other issues as far as getting spark goes.

Hopefully someone who is familiar with your bike will contribute.. give it a couple of days.

You need a manual.. (don't we all :) Give Honda a call.. they have both service and owner's manuals still available for my PA50..

Leon Swarmer /

Kevin the express absolutely does Not need the headlight connected to run. prolly not the tail light either.

If fact, if you don't have a battery, you need to disconncet the headlight. The battery acts as a kind of voltage regulator.

If you run one with out the battery and rev it high you can burn out that expensive headlight in a big hurry.

do you have a volt -ohm meter to check your battery?

6 volt test light??

Leon

Kevin Friedli /

Thanks for all your help. I do have all the test equipment neccassary as I own an automobile repair facility. However I have no idea how this ignition system works therefore I don't know what to test.

I have just learned that you do not need a front head light to get a spark but it is important for youre taillight to work. I just picked my 78 green (goblin) Express up from a garage sell and I can already imagine that we will have several years of fun togeather. Hey just keep on it and good luck. I dont really know much yet about the electrical but I do know that just about any key will work for the iginition. Also I just learned that you can find an alternative to the sealed beam headlight. You can find a light that is actually even brighter then the sealed beam and instead of spending $30.00 replacing the whole sealed beam when it is allot cheaper and also a bit easier to replace!

Leon Swarmer /

Kevin Friedli /

Thank --you so much for all your help. The wealth of knowledge available here is amazing. Does anyone perhaps know of an old forum that briefly explains the testing of the ignition system? What is the significance of the silicone rectifier ? And how would one test this component?

well the silicon rectifiers job is to regulate the voltage going to the battery as well as other electrical components so you dont fry anything. if youre not messing with any of the electricals at this point in the game its not crucial. you can just connect the red wires to the white one and it should still give you a spark if you have all the other wiring correct. i went through the same thing on my '78 express and its still running fine. i just wired a bicycle headlight and tail light to the existing switches to bypass the wiring issues until i get a chance to take a better look at it.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account