Batavus HS50 Clutch not disengaging

Hi all!

Just picked up a moped I've been looking for for a while...a 71 batavus HS50 top tank!

It runs great and goes up to 35 mph!!! The only problem I'm having with it is that periodically the clutch does not disengage when I return to idle speed. It appears to give me trouble often when I am returning to idle from a run at higher speeds (30-35 mph). It has a centifugal clutch which drives a belt. I noticed that the start lever has an arm which is supposed to engage the clutch to start the engine. This arm pushs in on the cluch plate to engage it and when you release the start lever the clutch plate should spring back out. It doesn't always do so....

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Thanks for any help you may have!!

Sincerely, Josh

Re: Batavus HS50 Clutch not disengaging

Is the start-lever-clutch cable binding? Maybe the lever return spring is weak or broken or attached at the wrong place?

Does the clutch always disengage when you manually move the clutch lever at the engine case?

Josh Latour /

Hi again,

Thanks for responding,

No The clutch lever cable is not binding. The Lever cable return spring does its job and pulls the clutch lever arm off the clutch. It is just the clutch itself that is not releasing. The lever cable and clutch lever arm all work fine. To clarify; the clutch does not disengage, even when I manually operate the lever arm at the engine case. Thanks for inquiring though...... Any other suggestions??

Josh

i'm not familiar with your bike.. Since your external parts are OK, i guess you need to look a little deeper.

i'm going from memory about a bike i had with a similar clutch/lever starting setup. But my bike was a two speed and the clutch was in with the tranny gears and was wet.

The external lever turned a shaft which goes down through the case.. That shaft had a fork on the end which moved another lever that engages the clutch. On my bike, this internal fork/lever setup had another spring. All this stuff was accessed by removing a side cover.

Hopefully as you work your way in you will see a mechanical linkage problem. If not, the clutch pads or springs may be at fault.

Do you have free play on the clutch plate?

If not it is not assembled correctly, it needs to go deeper inside until you'll have free play on the last plate for about 2-3 mm.

Josh Latour /

Hi joe and Ziggy,

To answer your questions

Joe I believe the return spring is in the right place (how could it be in the wrong place? The tapered end is towards the out side extremity of the bike (the wider end of the spring closer to the center of the bike.

Ziggy: Yes there is free play on the clutch plate. How could you adjust if there wasn't though. Assuming it is assembled properly, there is no adjustment of free play.... correct??

Check out my updated Clutch post if you're interested

Talk to you soon,

Josh

Mike Lumbert /

is it the m-48 motor?

if it is take the clutch apart and clean it,it's real easy just dont lose anything the 2 clutch plates are sticking,i had a 77 batavus starflite same problem,i ended up getting 2 new clutch plates, but cant remember where.ran real nice after that,then i crashed it and broke the lever completely off the bottom of the motor.i ended up stacking the clutch to get it to run.

Mike

Josh Latour /

Yes toolboy it is the m48 engine. What does stacking the engine mean?? see my updated disengaging post for my updates on this problems..

By the way, When you said you got 2 new clutch plates, did you mean the end plate and pressure plate or the actual clutch lining?? (see the updated post for a JPEG picture of this assembly for reference)

Thanks for your input!

Josh

Adjust the actuating lever so it has .040" of gap between it and the clutch,IF I remember right. I can look it up in a shop manual if it's a Laura 48. don-ohio

Mike Lumbert /

i took my clutch apart and made 2 fake clutch plates from a budweiser box, then i put them next to the plates in the housingand put it all together,so that made it direct drive,thats what i meant when i said i stacked the clutch,i had no other choice besides getting the other half of the motor,like i said i broke that lever completely off the bottom,

And don-ohio is right it is .040 distance between the lever and the outside plate.

Mike

On last Bat I got someone welded clutch for good.

So it was engaged all the time.

Clutch plates are expensive, I paid $25 for a new one but if you look on themopedjunkyard.com they want more- $40?

Make sure your end plates have no rust on them, use sand paper or rust removing wheel to clean it.

The clearance on the lever is important (you can reshape-bend this lever in your wise if the distance is to big, it should be 0.5-1 mm

There is no way to adjust clutch plate free play but there is a way to put it wrong so it is to tight.

I've seen some clutch plates make from funny stuff, one was made of aluminium, another one from some kind of plastic.

Those clutch plates are hard to find, new one's are supposed to be hand made and that is the reason for a high price???

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account