Batavus Bingo Engine advice?

Karen Thornton /

I bought a Bingo off ebay a while back. Unfortunately, I was misslead on it's condition, but I chose to keep it anyway.

I've been inspecting the engine thoroughly and while I'm by no means an expert at engine repair, I feel I've researched the subject enough to know when something is a lost cause.

I'd like to drop the engine completely, and just toss it (or keep for parts). I'd have to replace so many parts to get it working again, that it just makes sense to get a new engine entirely.

So here comes the part where I need advice. I had this half baked idea this morning. What if I were to buy one of those engine setups that have been growing in popularity lately. The engine designed to transform a bicycle into a moped. (ie: http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/ )

While the Bingo has got a heavy frame, it would appear that the engine would be powerful enough to propell it.

Am I dreaming here, or might this just work?

Comments please!

Re: Batavus Bingo Engine advice?

What is wrong with the motor that is on there that it is such a lost cause?

Karen Thornton /

It's the most filthy, rusted out thing I've ever seen in my life. The rust has corroded parts of the engine block, and I hesitate to see what it's done to the insides. (I haven't been able to crack it open yet because I'm still trying to get the corroded, rusted bolts out of the frame)

The carb is missing everything important and all the electrical and other lines are in poor shape at best. It's become clear to me that the previous owner not only didn't take good care of it, but used it in an offroad capacity.(!)

It is repairable, but even after getting it back in shape and spending a good chunk of money, the engine will still probably be garbage within 2 or 3 years. While a bit more expensive, I figure it would be more worth it to just drop the engine entirely and put in a new one with all new electrical.

Getting one of the engines like I described previously would be the easiest solution, as it will be simple to bolt it to the frame and get it up and running, thanks to good documentation and customer support from the company.

Suprisingly, the frame is still in greate shape, so I'd like to focus my attention to it in terms of modifying it and custom painting it.

I wouldn't expect a miracle from the bicycle kit. A moped is a small motorcycle. Everything is bigger and heavier. Aside from the displacement moped engine components are built thick and strong, everything from the engine block's mounting bosses to the connecting rods and bearings.

Swapping the original motor with something that was never designed to be in a moped will be far more difficult than would be restoring the original.

At first your bike might seem like too much to handle overall, but once you get into it you will find that there is not all that much to these little bikes. Carbs can be purchased and wires can be replaced. The worse the shape that your bike is in, the more you'll learn and the more satisfaction you'll get from restoring it.

I found my first bike in a metal scrap yard. It had been run over by a large earth-mover. The bike had been generally crushed.. the frame bent to an "L" shaped. A month later it was on the road..

Don't give up, I restored many Batavus peds-they are good mopeds.

Z

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account