Replaced gaskets galore, still won't start (Puch)

David Williams /

Ok, I finally got time to work on my moped this weekend. After some previous posts and advice, I replaced the float-needle-valve and bowl gasket in the carb, and i also replaced the gaskets in the cylinder and cylinder head and intake manifold. THe problem is that it won't start, or burp for that matter. I'm getting spark and good fuel flow to the carb, but still nothing. After a little peddling around to try to start it, gas starts dripping from the exhaust - not at the rear of the tube, but six inches or so away from the beginning of the exhuast tube.

I'm very tempted just to buy abrand new carb and maybe a cylinder kit. (throwing money at the problem)

Re: Replaced gaskets galore, still won't start (Pu

Jason Luther /

get a new plug and gap it properly-jason

have you checked the float to make shure that it floats? also make sure that the float is shutting off the gas flow when the bowl fills up

Replaced gaskets galore, still won't start (Puch)

David Williams /

Can anyone recommend a place to buy a new spark plug cap/wire? I bought some new spark plugs, but the end connectors are different (where the cap connects to the sparkk plug). My current spark plug wire cap only accepts spark plugs with the threaded type end terminal. The ones I bought have the smooth bulb type end terminals.

Thanks

The guys who replaced mine, just went through a bunch of different ones for cars until they found one that fit. Chances are, if you go to autozone they can tell you what end cap will fit what plug types.

David Williams /

I forgot, the tiny town I live in actually has an auto place.

thanks for the advice guys :-D

If you have spark, and you're getting fuel, you're either lacking sufficient compression (doubtful), or your timing / points are off. Has anyone messed with the flywheel or the points? I installed the stator plate and then flywheel on my Puch, but it wouldn't run until I had the stator plate set in the correct spot and the points set properly.

David Williams /

Well, my moped sits outside under a parking deck, so someone could have potentially messed with it, but I personally haven't touched the flywheel or points. It'll be next on my list.

Thanks

Dave,

I believe you can unscrew that small round cap from the top of the spark plug, and underneath you will find the thread you are speaking of.

-Fred

if you have a reed valve check it out i went through hell because mine was stuck open due to a piece of grass! DAMNIT!!! good luck

(Casserollers) Gregory B. /

Try a new spark plug. Like a poster said above, you got the right kind of spark plug, you need to remove that top cap.

Just take some plyers and twist it off.

Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Gregory

Ben Van Zoest /

You can actually get a ribbed plug boot that matches the spark plug ribs the one I got for 2$ only connects to the nipple, those I think are superior connections over the wimpy wire clip inside some boots. An added benefit they are water proof.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account