80' puch newport... trans fluid?

Ive looked all over the engine and gearbox for anything that looks like a plug for the gearbox, I cant find where the transmission fluid goes in. Also don-o told me to use TYPE F transmission fluid but isnt this for old ford cars (and isnt it the same stuff as power steering fluid in some cases?)... I just want to be sure. The only thing that I can see going into the bearbox is the clutch cable.... please help me find this thing? a pic with an arrow may be needed, i know so little about peds (yet!)...

Thanks in advance guys....

rand

Re: 80' puch newport... trans fluid?

Iiiiiiiii Died /

uhm, im not ungrateful but im not sure thats going to help me... i guess ill ask the eastside performance guys tonight if they know where its at...

thanks tho!

-rand

ehm, there is a screw, on the bottom of case on the right side of the bike, looks a little low for that tho... is that the idle screw?

Iiiiiiiii Died /

ill find u another site to visit

Iiiiiiiii Died /

Iiiiiiiii Died /

yeah yeah ok great excellent, i wanted to drain all the fluid but where do I put it back in at? and how much and what type? (type f?)

Iiiiiiiii Died /

no clue i dont like puch just honda , vespa, yamaha, motobecanel, srry if u look around on that site u are sure to find something

Iiiiiiiii Died /

if u cant find the problem i will trade my motobecane and cash towards your puch just to see how they run and stuff ill keep looking bcus thats gotta suck not knowing were the fluid gos in

Iiiiiiiii Died /

ah ha i just was browsing the older posts and discovered that the drain u found wasnt suposed to have anything in it its for emergencys incase u get something in your tranny it uses the oil gas mix to lube it like the tranny fluid would do check thru the older posts to see for your self if u need

Well, perhaps I shoulda been more specific, when I first got the bike, it was on its side in my dads truck, and it leaked out some redish pink fluid like transmission case fluid for a car... I dont know much about two cycles just cars so I assumed it was trans. or gearbox fluid... where does this fluid go, then?

-rand

Mike Monigold /

I have 2 Puchs. Do you have a single or 2 speed transmission? If you have a single, I'll take a picture of mine for you and point where the fluid goes and where you drain it. Yes, you use ONLY Type F transmission fluid.Anything else won't do it any good and may damage it big time.

Iiiiiiiii Died /

i dont know much about moped trannys srry i may of been incorrect perhaps there was tranny fluid in the back of the truck b4 ur dad had it loaded like a leak of a bottle dunno jacob

It does shift once at around 15mph so I assume that its a two speed...

...it is this moped,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2240011116&category=10957&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1

-Rand

Iiiiiiiii Died /

.............did u buy it off ebay or were u selling it thats the mo-ped i was bidding on! i stopped when it went over 150 thats cool u got it though i would of bidded $200. but my mom said not 2 and theres a ton of miles on it

Mike Monigold /

I scanned a page out of the Puch manual and emailed it to you. It's a pretty big file, over a meg, but since the copy wasn't so clear in the first place I figured I had better keep it in high resolution.

I hope it helps you out.

Gregory Mcintire /

Rand,

Go here to see if you have 1 or 2 speed:

http://www.themopedjunkyard.com/newpuch.html

See the attached jpg picture to see where the drain and fill plugs are.

As a further note, I am not recommending this to you or anyone else, but I use 5w-30 synthetic motor oil in my 1-speed Puch and after 8500 miles the clutch shows no discernable wear. The bearings also are "as new". The reason I don't use ATF is that that is what was in all three 1-speed Puch motors that I bought and they all had rough bearings on the transmission shaft and the right side crank bearing, which is lubricated by the transmisison oil. I am not arguing one oil over the other, justing stating facts and personal experience. I also experimented with Slick-50 and BG Extreme Pressure Concentrate. My objective was to make the clutch slip more. Nothing that I added to the tranny achieved this. So I went to Mobil-1 5w-30 motor oil as tranny fluid and it has served me well.

1084765213_puch_transmission_oil.jpg

First off, listen to nothing Jake says, he makes it very apparent that he has no idea what he's talking about by his posts in this thread, next type F ATF is what you should use, but any ATF should work, as well as regular motor oil, ATF will work better, you can use something else, it will not damage your motor, any ATF will work, and last I will look for a pic real quick to show you the fill/drain plug on the motor

Iiiiiiiii Died /

ray i said i was NOT SURE i have NEVER worked on puch mopeds i read another post and it said on some mo-peds u dont need tranny oil OH YA AND RAY SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Iiiiiiiii Died /

IM SICK OF PPLS SAYING I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT I DO KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT I JUST DONT KNOW ABOUT MOST MOPED TRANNYS AND PUCH MOPEDS THATS WHY I SAID I WASNT SURE ABOUT 2 CYCLE MIX LUBBING THE TRANNY AND IM 4 SURE THAT TRANNYS CAN USE 2 CYCLE MIX TO LUBE THE TRANNY IF U HAVE A SEPERATE TANK FOR EACH ONE THERE ARE MOPEDS WITH DIFFERENT METHODS AND RAY I SUGGEST U SHUT UR FUCKING FACE

lets see a link to this post that says you don't need tranny fluid, and that the tranny drain/fill plug is just a place to fish stuff out, maybe you should check your motobecane, make sure that you have plenty of tranny fluid in there. That isn't the only thing you did, you posted all kinds of useless links to pictures of other motors, its great that you want to help, but if you don't know what you are doing it is best to keep your mouth shut rather than just cluttering up the board with mindless babble that has no relevance to the question you are attempting to answer

what mopeds use 2 stroke mix to lubricate the tranny, I have owned over 20 different mopeds in the last 2 years, many brands, different motors, not one bike I have owned uses mix to lube the tranny. Oh, and of the 10 motorcycles that I have had in addition to the mopeds, not one of them uses mix to lube the tranny.

I KNEW that was ganna happen here eventually, that someone was ganna say HEY I was bidding on that!

Runs pretty damn well for having so many miles. The carb has been replaced at some point because it looks really new, same with lots of other parts. Ive ran it for 250+miles and only had one issue which was bad plug wire end.

Hey guys knock it off. Although ray has a point, why the hell would someone put an explosive mixture into a high motion area like a transmission??? LOL that was my first thought when reading that.

the spark plugs that you got may work, those rounded ends screw off of most spark plugs leaving the threaded part that you need, otherwise follow the advice given before and go to the auto parts store and say "give me one of these that will fit this plug"

this screw is probably the fill/drain screw, the same hole does both and the tranny doesn't take much fluid, you fill till it starts to run out of the hole and there you go

Iiiiiiiii Died /

ray look at the post about drain plugs / carb it says that tranny may use oil mix to lube the carb i said i wasnt sure so u dont gotta make a deal about it

In that entire post not one thing is said about the tranny using mix to lubricate it, the tranny was only mentioned I believe once, most of the post was about the crankcase, the crankcase and the transmission are two different things, it also doesn't say anything about the tranny lubing the carb. Once again I go back to my first post in this thread, its great you want to help, but if you don't know what you are talking about, keep your mouth shut, you may learn something too.

_IM SICK OF PPLS SAYING I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT I DO KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT I JUST DONT KNOW ABOUT MOST MOPED TRANNYS AND PUCH MOPEDS THATS WHY I SAID I WASNT SURE ABOUT 2 CYCLE MIX LUBBING THE TRANNY AND IM 4 SURE THAT TRANNYS CAN USE 2 CYCLE MIX TO LUBE THE TRANNY IF U HAVE A SEPERATE TANK FOR EACH ONE THERE ARE MOPEDS WITH DIFFERENT METHODS AND RAY I SUGGEST U SHUT UR FUCKING FACE_<p></p>as for this, it contradicts itself, you say you do know what you are talking about, then you say you don't know about moped trannies and Puch mopeds, so which is it, you know or not, I'm going to go with not, because thats the obvious correct answer

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account