Motobecane help

Greetings,

Dug a 1980 red Motobecane out of a barn. My pops used to sell Motobecane bicycles and purchased this for us new in 1981 (it says "6 1980" and "50v C Miles" on the VIN tag).

Question: How do I determine exactly which model I have?

it has a "Moby" decal on the rt side panel ... are all Motosreferred to as Mobys?

The bike is all original but doesn't run yet. My old man says he thinks something is wrong with the magneto unit (no spark). I am going to start at the beginning and work up. The handlebar clamps are missing, so I ordered those. I am sure I will be back with many more questions, as I am not afraid to ask for help and y'all seem to know yer crankshaft from yer carb.

Thanks,

Re: Motobecane help

Search for my posted forum "See here the instructions to clean the points".

Ricardo.

Hello etrain,

I've just acquired a Motobecane moped myself over the weekend. Mine has a decal that says Mobylette 50V, so I think that we both have Motobecane Mobylette 50Vs.

However, although there are numbers on the bike and on the motor, I can't seem to determine the year of this machine. Is there some kind of database to find the answer? Isn't doesn't seem like Motobecane itself will be of much help, as they basically ignored an email inquiry.

Obviously I am a confused newbie . . .

Hello etrain,

I’ve just acquired a Motobecane moped myself over the weekend. Mine has a decal that says Mobylette 50V, so I think that we both have Motobecane Mobylette 50Vs.

However, although there are numbers on the bike and on the motor, I can’t seem to determine the year of this machine. Is there some kind of database to find the answer? Isn’t doesn’t seem like Motobecane itself will be of much help, as they basically ignored an email inquiry.

Obviously I am a confused newbie . . .

a VIN will include the year of manufacture and the place of manufacture and other info.. you might need a service manual or some other guidance to decode the VIN.

but VINs do have a standard format .. i don't know if it applies to every vehicle but it might.. evidently Europe has a different system.. check it out..

http://home.wxs.nl/~fransang/vins.html

Christian Hanner /

the manufacturers plate at the front of the moped between top of gas tank and front forks has month & year of manufacture as well as model name and rated mph(how fast it can go) you can check it out by turning your handlebars eith left or right .check it out and good luck.

Christian Hanner

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account