Is ethanol gas bad for mopeds?

I work with a guy who says I should be using ethanol gas in my moped. Does anyone know if that causes problems?

Re: Is ethanol gas bad for mopeds?

ethanol is OK as a fuel. You'll have to make a few modifications to run on it.. For instance, you'll need a very large main jet because it takes a larger volume of alcohol to produce the same amount of power.. And since alcohol is heavier than gasoline, the float will be too high and has to be adjusted. Alcohol is also incompatable with some types of materials used in the fuel system..

Search "alcohol conversion" on the net for many pages on what is involved.. here's a sample.

<url> http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky2.htm

Maybe it's a lot of work, but since you can produce your own alcohol for fuel, there might come a day when you have the only running moped on the block :)

How can you produce your own alcool???

thanks

g.b.

I never run it unless it's all I can get(I'm talking gasoline with up to 10% ethanol here,NOT racing alcohol fuels).

Ethanol loves water.........it absorbs it ..........it will separate itself from gasoline to get to water.

Your moped will like you better if you leave the Ethanol-laced gasoline out of it, and especially never store a moped with ethanol laced gas.

So far.....Marathon, Shell, and BP,I think still have high quality,non-ethanol gas and your moped will run great on them. don-ohio

Jason Luther /

hey don, does it really make that big of a difference? i never even check if i buy gas with ethanol-jason

Richard Decosta /

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode when Homer discovers a car can run on alcohol:

Homer's brain : Don't think about beer.

[sees a 'Alcohol-fuelled car' sign and imagines pumping gas]

One for you, one for me. One for you, one for me. One for you, one for me.

---

Richard

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

John Joedicke /

Been running my peds on alcohol laced gas for 4 years now. (10 % or less) Also store them with full tanks and stabil and never had a problem yet. Don't sweat the little stuff, you will go crazy!

I agree. 10% can't make that big a difference. Although I have always wanted to do an alcohol coversion, just so I know how in case of zombie apocalypse.

In Minnesota, all gasoline sold for road vehicles contains 10% ethanol, by mandate.. unless that law was changed.

Allen Murphy /

We've got it here in a 6 county area--10% EtOH doesn't changes things any big deal.

HOWEVER--E85 is a real SOB! Less fuel milage, hard starting in cold weather, and tends to "clean" your fuel system,releasing trapped bits & pieces to clog your jets.

Stick with ordinary pump fuel--MUCH easier!

Al Murphy

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

10% ethanol will work,and you won't notice any difference,except slightly reduced fuel mileage.However,ethanol is much more volatile than gasoline,and can prevent your engine from being lubricated properly,whether you are using premix,or oil injection.It washes the oil right off the bearings and cylinder walls.I would at least use a little more oil.We have 10% ethanol in the county where I live about 6 months out of the year.The next county over,about 6 miles away,uses regular gas all year.I go across the county line and get about 10 gal.of gas for my mopeds and weed eater,ever so often.And whatever you do,never put methanol in your moped or any other engine.I've seen engines destroyed by this stuff.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account