How Do You Change The Oil? (Tomos)

Deon Holland /

I have a 2004 Tomos LX. It has over 300 miles on it. How do you change the oil? What's the best/safest way to do it?

How Do You Change The Oil? (Tomos)

I think the Tomos LX has a 2-stroke engine.

Check your Manual.

Re: How Do You Change The Oil? (Tomos)

Deon Holland /

Yeh it's a 2-stroke.

OK, then what oil are you going to change?

....you don't

Etheran St.james /

Have you been mixing your gas with oil thus far?

That's it.....it's a 2-stroke.....there's your oil.

If you havn't been adding oil with your gas everytime you fill up then you're in trouble. And I don't mean with just with your moped.....

(thank you for not using the same deform of english as in your profile....)

He means the tranny oil.......every 500 miles it should be changed, unless it leaks and you add occasionally, then you can go 1000 if it doesn't look burnt or too dark.

Drain it from underneath,remove the level-check screw, and refill with 300 ml of transmission fluid OR until it runs out the level-checking screw hole.. don-ohio

Deon Holland /

I want to change the motor oil.

It has only tranny oil........the tranny is part of the engine, but separated from it by a crankshaft seal. The parts of the engine are lubed by the 2-stroke oil you add to the moped when you fill it or the oil-injection tank every once in a while. Okay? don-ohio

There are three bolts: one on the bottom for draining, one on the side in the middle for checking the level, and one on top for filling. First, take it out for a 10-15 minute ride to warm up the trans. After, unscrew/bolt the three bolts/screws and let the fluid completely drain. When it does, bolt on the bottom screw and add your 300cc/10oz of type F ATF. After you see some ATF start pouring out from the middle screw, bolt the top bolt back on and weight until the ATF levels off and stops pouring out. When it does, screw the last screw on and go for another 10-15 minute ride. When you get back, take the middle screw off only to make sure the level of ATF is the correct level when warm. Sounds like a lot but it's easy and cheap.

Deon Holland /

I want to know how to change the 2-stroke oil.

You haven't being paying attention here, have you??

how do you know when it is level?

When the ATF stops coming out of the middle hole on the side.

so you have to empty it out with the bottom screw. then put the screw in then take the top one off and fill it up? its that easy?

John Joedicke /

Are you wanting to change the oil injection oil?

Yup but make sure that the fluid level is correct by taking out the middle screw and letting the excess drain (not the bottom, the middle).

o so you dont fill it up to the top?

No. Only to the hole that is near the middle of the side cover of the trans (the screw hole that the philips head screw plugs up). Filling it up to the top will probably cause it to leak and will cause problems in the trans.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account