Puch Repair Help, Boston ,North

Michael Nesson /

Does anyone know of someone willing to help me keep my peds repaired and running. Would love to learn more....live north of Boston, MA Any repair shops also?

Re: Puch Repair Help, Boston ,North

What is wrong with it. I have had to do little or no work on my '77 Newport since I got it a year ago. I use it day in and day out.

What are the exact problems? There are several moped dealers in town. I think there is one in North Reading, at least it is listed on the Tomos website.

I've been to the place in Jamaica Plain - if you gotta puch, they'll do it apparently. But I'm not sure as to the quality or price of their service. I do know someone I know went there recently and they messed up something on his bike, but that's all I know...

I still have to make it out to Claude's out in Foxboro.

Claude will definitely repair bikes. He specializes in Motobecanes but he will fix anything. He is very friendly and has plenty of parts if you need them. He does work on motocyles, ATVs and the like..

16 Cedar Lane

Foxborough

(508)543-0490

Michael Nesson /

Cleaned my carb, new pet cock, fuel line, filter, set timing and new spark plug all with the help of a friend. My Puch starts great, however has a buck at full speed and only reaches about 24mph. It loses power going up hill....could it use new points? Shifting is smooth. also replaced trans. fluid with 9.5 ozs. type "f" fluid. If it is the points; how difficult is it to change them....have never done it? I'm up in Newburyport....about 30 minutes north of Boston.

Mike,

What model Puch is it? What type of engine: 1hp, 1.5hp, 2hp? 2-speed?

The moped will definitely lose speed up hill. You say it shifts, so I assume it is a two speed. It should shift back to the lower gear up hill. Some of the Puchs were designed to go 24/25mph. What size Carb. do you have and what size Jet?

Michael Nesson /

It's a 1980 Maxi 2spd. 1,5hp. I'll have to check the carb and jet #.

Jason Luther /

your speed sounds about right. maybe a little slow. check your tire pressure that makes big difference for my maxi. also your bearings could need to be repacked or adjusted or your brakes could be dragging.-jason

Michael Nesson /

I'll probably bring it to a shop to check the bearings...I'm not sure how to do that. will check the air pressure...what should it be?

Gregory Mcintire /

Disassemble your muffler and clean the carbon out of all the holes in the baffle. I am not just talking about the little four inch long pipe in the back end, but the large foot long aluminum baffle canister. Also clean the carbon out of the exhaust port of the cylinder while the exhaust is off. The baffle may be stuck inside the muffler pretty good but you should be able to drive it out the back of the muffler using a long wooden stick (broom sticks woork well) inserted into the front end, then tap with a hammer.

This is one of the most overlooked problems I have seen. Carbon builds up over time, causing the motor to slowly lose performance. It doesn't happen suddenly and therefore goes unnoticed.

Michael Nesson /

Thanks for the suggestion! What is the best way to clean the baffles and get rid of the carbon?

Gregory Mcintire /

Scrape it off with a knife blade or whatever. It will be a crusty buildup partially plugging the holes that the exhaust has to pass through.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account